Limiting Fitting Sizes to Lookup Table Values

xav1029

Is there a way to limit fitting sizes to those combinations found in lookup tables? I am a plumbing designer and we have been using AMEP for some time for modeling our plumbing systems. In AMEP you are limited to using the size configurations in your fittings library. For example, wyes. I downloaded the Charlotte Pipe families and loaded the lookup tables(this is the manufacturer we use). However, revit allows me to create pretty much any size wye. In the real world there is no 3 x 3 x 10 wyes, but I can do that in revit.

Also is there a way to chose size combinations from a dropdown menu or something? If I want to insert a 6 x 4 wye, I don't want to manually have to change the hub sizes each instance.

I see the possible benefits of using Revit, specially for architecture, but the workflow process seems cumbersome for the piping side.

Yes, there are certainly ways to do it. What you'd have to do is make a duplicate of the Lookup Table and edit the values as needed.

I was an AMEP fan boy for years. It took quite a long time to get used to Revit MEP's way of doing things. Once you get the hang of it you'll appreciate Revit more, but roll up your sleeves because it'll take a while to translate your mind from AMEP to RMEP.

-TZ

Appreciate the input. The lookup tables from the Charlotte families all have the proper sizes. However, Revit lets me set sizes that aren't on the lookup tables. This becomes an issue specially during water piping where we only use certain tee sizes because they are readily available. I don't have these sizes memorized, because in amep I only made fittings that matched the size combinations that were readily available.

However, Revit lets me set sizes that aren't on the lookup tables.

I think I've come across this before. You can manually enter a size that is not in the table but you can select only sizes available from the table.

I think I've come across this before. You can manually enter a size that is not in the table but you can select only sizes available from the table.

I can select from drop down and manually enter sizes not on lookup table. FYI I'm running Revit 2016. All the sizes that are in the lookup tables scale properly. If I chose a size that isn't, it just looks odd, but still allows me to use it.

Then what use is the lookup table?

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/revit-for-mep-engineers/mp1294#chapter=0

I just watched this video and it helped me out. Apparently, revit allows you to change sizes to anything you want. You have to build in formulas into the family that either break the family or make it blatently obvious that you are not using a proper sized fitting. Kind of a bummer, but I guess it would just take some getting used to

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/revit-for-mep-engineers/mp1294#chapter=0

I just watched this video and it helped me out. Apparently, revit allows you to change sizes to anything you want. You have to build in formulas into the family that either break the family or make it blatently obvious that you are not using a proper sized fitting. Kind of a bummer, but I guess it would just take some getting used to

This is what my next suggestion was going to be - drive the constraints through formulas which isn't difficult, really.

This is an extremely useful document to bookmark just for this very thing: http://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-tips-tricks/1046-revit-formulas-everyday-usage.html

Another alternative, which is an additional cost, is to purchase a 3rd party such as SysQue. All their families are ANSI standard and have all the constraints built in.