Bogbadbob658

My current setup is:-

ASUS P8Z68-VLX

32GB RAM

Intel i5-2500K @3.3GHz

NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 (0.5 GB RAM)

WD WD1003FZEX 1TB SATA Hard Drive W/ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

and I am using 2 Iiyma 24" screens.

I want to upgrade my screens to 28" 4k which will require upgrading the graphics card. I was looking to use the NVIDIA Quadro K1200.

My question is will the remaining hardware be ok or should I just scrap it and start again?

Tell us a little about the type of work you are doing or want to do?

3D or 2D? CAD or other programs you will use? Size of the files, 2-5mb, 8-10mb or 20mb and above?

Your mother board's PCIe bus is 2.0 so you can't make the most out of the game cards, but that is still probably your best bet for the $$$.

Unless you are doing a lot of 3D work, the Quadro cards excel in the 3D world. Some 3D programs can make use of the processing of the video card but CAD does not.

So with CAD you are usually better off with a good gaming card like an GTX 600 or 700 series card.

You need to look at the card and your power supply as some cards require power cable from the power supply.

I run AutoCAD Architecture and about 50% of the work is in 3D. File sizes vary but usually don't go over 20mb. The larger files are usually due to napkin being used.

Good point on the power supply.

I am a bit confused where you say Quadro cards excel at 3D but a gaming card would be better?

That is an older i5 as well (2nd gen iirc). While not a bad cpu it is certainly not a current generation. I agree on the GTX cards. A much better value than the Quadros unless you absolutely need them. The K1200 is about $300 USD and that could buy you a GTX 960 or 970, if you need that high a series. +1 to checking power supply and needs of the system/card.

In gaming 3D is all about "frame rate" and in CAD 3D is about accuracy. The Quadro cards are accurate but with a heafty price tag.

Gaming cards do the normal 2D in CAD really well.

So if you do a lot of 3D it may payoff to use a Quadro card. I am not sure CAD 3D will use all of the card. Users feel that gaming cards (nVidia GTX cards) work better in CAD than the Quadro cards.

But if you are using a 3D program, Revit, 3DMax, Inventor and other can use the extra power in a Quadro card.

I have in my home CPU a K4000 card and had a GTX 660ti card and I felt I could see a little difference. Not as much as I felt there should of been for the price.

I don't use 3D as much lately.

Hopefully someone with some more recent use in these different programs can give some feed back.

If your not rendering for presentation type of 3D work you are better off with a "Gaming" type card.

FYI- I am thinking of cards in 2 categories - Gaming or Work Station.

• 2 weeks later...
There is other posts about 4K not supported by Autocad. "Squireltech"

From what I have read there is an issue with line thickness' being just 1 pixel wide which on a small 4k screen makes it hard to see. Also there is no way to scale up the ribbon so all the buttons look small.

May have to treat myself to a 40" screen.