place a rectangle an exact distance from a line

Casio47

Hello All,

I have a rectangle, and I wish to move the entire rectangle to be exactly 16'10" from a line (which represents a wall). The rectangle need not rotate, just move over and be positioned parallel to the wall

Thanks

Architecture 2013

Without seeing a drawing the exact method may vary slightly, but you need to use the command modifier "from".

Select the rectangle and start the move command, pick the point on the rectangle that needs to be moved the distance from the wall. When you are prompted for the displacement point, type the word "from", you will be promted to pick a point (the point on your wall), now move the cursor in the direction you wish to move the rectangle and type in the distance, followed by enter. This will depend on you being able to use snap points as reference points, but hopefully will point you in the right direction

WOOT! salting away FROM into my library! thanks.

edit:looks like rob beat me to it.

I think they have done away with the need to use it in most circumstance though. If you move your object to the object you want the distance from you can just execute the move command and if your polar tracking and snap tracking is on just type in the distance and it will place it that distance form the the other object. That being said its not always easy to get into position to do this so FROM is definitely going in my toolbox.