How to scale an assembly

chubarka

I have a model of a machine mechanism that needs to be scaled to 50% of the size that I originally made it. I find that I cannot scale an assembly, only a part, in that I do not get the scale option for an assembly. I need to scale it to reduce the file size, then save it as an STL file for 3-D Printing. There has to be something that my dumbness is missing. Please tell me what it is.

Chubarka

You need to scale just for file size? When you save as an stl go into the "options" button and modify the settings. The resolution of the stl will control the file size more than the physical part size.

Not at home to try this - but - could he make a block out of it and then inset it at whatever size needed?

Blocks are only sketch entities so unfortunately it wont. You can scale parts. It wont really solve the file size but you can save as on sn assembly and make it a part then scale it. All components will be bodies in a multi body part file.

But again the resolution options in the stl save will affect the file size and print quality. No more than 5deg between polys for a curved part. Something square you can go up to 10deg usually. Do some saves and reopen the stl in solidworks and you will see the difference

• 2 weeks later...

Many 3d printing software packages allow you to scale the part (assembly) prior to printing.

Have you tried using your printing software's scale function?