Assistance For DWG

hlshp

Hi, I am a new user to AutoCAD 14 Lt. I have been teaching myself the basics of Autocad. I have a drawing that I am having difficulty in modifying. It is a site map. If I try and pick up an individual object it selects all the objects. Trying to make additions to the drawing etc does not seem to work. I have tried the "explode" command to no avail. The plan on the model tab is not distinct but seems to be slightly faded in comparison to some of the other files I have been looking at. Can anybody advise?

Many thanks

I would recommend that you attach a copy of the actual drawing file to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it and post back with an explanation and a solution.

Did you check to see if the layer is locked?

I would recommend that you attach a copy of the actual drawing file to your next post. Someone here will take a look at it and post back with an explanation and a solution.

Did you check to see if the layer is locked?

Hi, thanks for your response. I cannot attach the drawing as it is a "restricted area". I have unlocked/unthawed all layers. When I click on a particular item all buildings/data gets selected. I then get a couple of messages.... "unknown command" or "already checked out for editing".

Thanks

It's probably a block or an XREF. That is why everything gets selected. Another possibility is it's a group.

Use your properties box to determine what kind of object you have.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I’ll take a guess that you drawing file may have been created with another discipline of AutoCAD. This happened to me just two days ago. Was editing a file and could not delete some drawing entities. Tried everything you mentioned. Also tried the ad in Zombiekiller. Even ran –Purge and –Audit. Still no luck.

After really paying attention to the error messages, saw something about AutoCAD Mechanical. I then remembered that I was working some drawing files in AutoCAD Mechanical. So closed down regular AutoCAD, and fired up AutoCAD Mechanical. As soon as I opened the file, poof! The items I was trying to delete just vanished!

Find out if the file you are working was created with another flavor of AutoCAD (maybe AutoCAD Civil). Sounds to me that’s what your problem might be.