3D Solid Surface material Mapping

CadManDoo

This is Driving me nuts! Has anyone ever had a problem with Surface material mapping Loosing its mapping when you move, scale, copy, the object or simply close and restart the drawing? I've finally got my Final Project Modeled and now all I have to do is render it but it keeps crashing and then I have to reset all the surface material mapping on the objects I copied. I working on a Macabre Chess Set If you look at my rendering you'll see what I mean. The Tree Stumps and the Pawn Hillbilly hats.Spooky Chess.jpg

I just thought of something. Is it possible my graphics card is doing something weird? Like maybe the material mapping is correct in the program, but my computer simply isn't displaying it right?

Now it's doing this thing where I zoom in and the material disappears and then reappears when I zoom back out. Only happening to the Tree stumps though. It's only happening to Custom image Materials applied to surfaces of copied objects the original object always seems to keep it's mapping. I've got a lot of High Definition Custom image materials in my drawing, Is this maybe why I'm having problems?

I ******* hate autocad. Why don't these douche bags fix there ****!

There are many other Autodesk programs that are much better suited for this sort of thing, (Studio Max, Maya, Mudbox, etc.). And then there's Revit, Inventor and the various verticals. I have always felt that Autocad is the very best when it comes to 2D drafting, but for any sort of serious 3D work, you need to move to another program. Just my opinion.

Now it's doing this thing where I zoom in and the material disappears and then reappears when I zoom back out. Only happening to the Tree stumps though. It's only happening to Custom image Materials applied to surfaces of copied objects the original object always seems to keep it's mapping. I've got a lot of High Definition Custom image materials in my drawing, Is this maybe why I'm having problems?

What file format are your custom image materials and how big are they in terms of file size and pixels? You should always stick with .tga, .png or jpg. Don't ever use tif's. The file sizes are far too big and use up a lot of memory. Also, try to stick with 1024x1024, 2048x2048 or at most 4096x4096 texture sizes. The bigger your texture map, the more memory it uses.

I just thought of something. Is it possible my graphics card is doing something weird? Like maybe the material mapping is correct in the program, but my computer simply isn't displaying it right?

It is possible. Have you tried doing a render to see if the materials appear when rendered? It could just be a graphic display issue.

There are many other Autodesk programs that are much better suited for this sort of thing, (Studio Max, Maya, Mudbox, etc.). And then there's Revit, Inventor and the various verticals. I have always felt that Autocad is the very best when it comes to 2D drafting, but for any sort of serious 3D work, you need to move to another program. Just my opinion.

You're right I shouldn't slander Autodesk, but there's no reason I shouldn't be able to apply material to an objects surface and then copy that object and have it be exactly the same. This is my final for Advanced Autocad so unfortunately I have to use it. It's due tomorrow at 3 and I still have to finish the room we're supposed to put it in and make a table to put the board on. I would have been done days ago if the program would just cooperate with me. Thanks for trying to help, I will check out the hardware acceleration you were talking about. I think my computer should be able to handle this file. Thank you for trying to help me.

I realized when I copy an object with surface material mapping applied it stretches the image way out as if I had selected all surfaces of each copy and the applied mapping all at once. I thought I had found a solution by duplicating the material 31 times (yes I said 31) for each piece and then applying it all separately but now it's doing this thing where some of the objects materials appear to be there only when it fells like it.

I've actually done that before and thought I had it figured out and then when I reopened the file later it was all messed up again. I'll try it one more time. If it doesn't work I'm going to just say **** it and move on.

If you're stuck on Autocad 2015 then try to do your model in Autocad and use Showcase for the material mapping and rendering. If you have access to 2016 Autocad I'd also recommend trying that. The render engine has been replaced and it's much better (not sure about material mapping however)