Dimension Style Manager

taksa02

Hello,

I'm a student and I'm using Technical Drawing 101 with Autocad 2016 by Antonio Ramirez as the semester text. I am on chapter 5, Dimensioning, and am working on the "Matching" questions. There are five dimension style manager tabs listed, Primary Units, Lines, Text, Fit, and Symbols and Arrows, and you have to match them with their function. I can't find a reference anywhere to the description "where the orientation of arrowheads on circles and arcs is defined." And it seems to me that "Symbols and Arrows" matches two different descriptions. Help!

Symbols and arrows means the artifacts used to mark the ends (limits) of your dimension lines. and what "symbol" you use to indicate a Center Mark. Open circles, filled circles, architectural tick marks and ARROWS are all generically referred to as symbols. ALL of the positioning of ALL dimension symbols is controlled on the Symbols and Arrows tab.

The only positioning of any symbol specifically for arcs and circles anywhere that I have EVER found is for the "ARC" symbol on an arc length dimension. What they DON'T tell you is that particular option also controls the position of the "R" in a Radius, and the "D" in a diameter dimension.

Thank you, Dana. If I understand you correctly, then I have at least three descriptions that fit the Symbols and Arrows tab: (1) the tab where dimension arrow size is defined; (2) the tab where orientation of arrowheads on circles and arcs is defined; and (3) the tab where center mark style is defined. My problem is that this book has not done this before. If it gives you five things to match, they will all match five different things. My other choices here are the tabs for dimension height (text) and precision (Primary Units). But that leaves Fit and Lines tabs unanswered. Am I making sense here?

(2) the tab where orientation of arrowheads on circles and arcs is defined;
Yes, you make sense to me, except the part where 5 questions need 5 separate answers. That is why tests are Hell. It happens. That's why there is sometimes the "All of the Above" choice. :lol:

#2, to me is very ambiguous. I am not sure what they mean by "On Circles and Arcs". It could be either Symbols and Arrows, or Fit because the final placement of the text and arrows depends on the size of the arc or circle you place the diameter or radius dimensions on.

Depending on your choice of arrow size, text size, and Fit options, the smaller the circle or arc is, in relation to text and arrow size, the more likely it is that AutoCad will override your positioning anyway, and make the radius or diameter land on the outside of the circle or arc.

During dimensioning, you can place the arc length, diameter or radius dimension either inside or outside of a circle or arc, unless it will not fit. The program does the same thing anywhere the distance being dimensioned is too short to contain your text and/or arrows between the extension lines, if you leave it the option to move either arrows or text or both, it will move them outside of the extension lines.

I'm betting that whatever answer I suggest, it will turn out to be the other one. It is either Symbols And Arrows, or Fit. I just think their wording is too unclear to know what sort of orientation they are referring to, so I am going to leave it up to your judgement.:?

In reality, it is a little bit of both, but they certainly are not looking for two answers.;)

I checked the F1 Help file. There is no clear answer there either. Then, AutoDesk Help has always been, lets say, ah simplistic.

Back to my review question: The style manager tab where center mark style is defined. Guess what the correct answer is: "Lines."

I don't get it. Right there on the Symbols and Arrows tab is a box for defining center marks.

I sent an email to the professor of this class and she hasn't responded.

Anyone have ANY ideas??????

Thank you....

Back to my review question: The style manager tab where center mark style is defined. Guess what the correct answer is: "Lines."

I don't get it. Right there on the Symbols and Arrows tab is a box for defining center marks.

I sent an email to the professor of this class and she hasn't responded.

Anyone have ANY ideas??????

Thank you....

Send her another email and include this picture. The test is completely wrong.

Maybe the copy editor (somewhere in Bangladesh) skipped a line while earning $0.45 a page to type it up.

Funny, one expects this kind of stuff from Penn-Foster.

Untitled.jpg