Annotative Attribute won't flip correctly in Dynamic Block

AutoCAD 2012 - 2D

I'm trying to create an Annotative Dynamic Block (flip action) that contains a single attribute and some geometry..

The attribute is a "multi-line" attribute so it will change justification correctly when flipped.

At the moment I would prefer a "single-line" attribute cause it's faster to fill in your data. BUT - the multi-line attribute also has it's benefits, so I'll keep it for now.

The block work's just fine until you decide to change the annotative scale in model space.

Please check out the attached file.

Try this:

1: Flip the block that's already inserted into the drawing a few times - All is well.

2: Change the annotative scale in model space and try flipping it again - Nothing is well..

3: Try inserting a copy of the block (insert block and choose "test" from the drop down menu) into the drawing and flip it - All is well.

4: Repeat step "2"...

What am I doing wrong?? I can't figure it out..

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Blank.dwg

Edited by MuHcOw

• 4 weeks later...

that is strange behaviour. I opened the Dynamic Block and it all looked correct to me. Either we are both missing something or its a glitch of some kind in AutoCAD

So the attribute didn't go haywire after you changed the annotative scale?

Did you try using Acad 2012?

Maybe there's a setting or option that I'm missing somewhere...

Happy new year btw :D

happy new year to you too.

I just re-read my post....I wasn't very clear in it.

Basically I was able to get the same issue to happen to me as you explained using AutoCAD 2014. What I meant was I looked at your block you created in detail and it seems you have done everything correctly. I tried to play around with it but the problem persisted adn the text behaved strangely. That's why I think its a glitch possibly in AutoCAD or else there is something wrong with the block that both of us have overlooked.

I hope it's not a glitch...

But thank you very much for taking a look at it.

Do you think the same thing will happen if the block is created from scratch in Acad 2014?

Well I'm not sure. Just to make sure we are on the same page, there were 2 text sizes....when you flipped the block, one of the texts would flip ok, the other upside down? The other thing I noticed was sometimes only one text would flip and the other wouldn't at all.

I really couldn't work out the problem why that was happening. I even exploded a copy of the block to analyze everything in it...all looked ok. I even opened up the text styles and ticked the box for annotative for the text style used for the attribute text.....still didn't fix it. It doesn't make sense....it seems like everything is correct but it doesn't act as expected.

I'm not sure I understand you 100% correctly. But..

There should be only ONE text at all times... one attribute.

That attribute should not be set to annotative - only the "finished" block itself so geometry and text (attribute) always scales the same.

The attribute should flip according to the flip actions defined in the block (horizontal or vertical). I HOPE those actions are defined correctly.

The attribute (and geometry) should only flip vertically if the vertical flip action is selected. The same goes with the horizontal flip action. The attribute itself should change text justification (left/right/top/bottom) so it matches the block geometry.

It's because of the justification I have chosen the Multi-line attribute - I've read that that's the only way to make the attribute justification change when flipped.

I have the "SELECTIONANNODISPLAY" option set to "0" (zero) so only the current annotative scale is shown when the block is selected - Maybe that's the problem??....

I haven't tried making the attribute AND block annotative at the same time (don't know if it's possible). If possible, then maybe "SELECTIONANNODISPLAY" should be set to "1" so all objects (at all scales) could be selected when defining the flip actions.

Maybe this whole thing has something to do with the flip action not "knowing about" the other scales...?? grasping for straws here..

Btw - I'm a bit crippled here today - Only got my laptop with me - Not my second monitor...

AutoCAD windows keeps popping up on the second monitor (that isn't here) - I forgot how to move the windows to the monitor on the laptop... :-/