Dell New XPS 12 laptop/tablet processor question

FloridaCAD

Has anyone purchased the new Dell XPS 12 laptop/tablet with the M5 6y54 processor? I am trying to figure out if AutoCAD runs on that processor or will I really need to go to just a laptop with an i5 or i7 processor.

99% of my production work is done on a desktop pc, so the laptop/tablet is only for minor, general use in meetings and such.

Thanks for any help you guys can supply.

I think it will be fine for that intended purpose. I run current AutoCAD on a 4 year old AMD Athlon-II X4 on my home PC with no issue. Sure I also have an SSD HDD as well as a GTX graphics card but the cpu does just fine. That new XPS looks like a nice piece of kit imho.

With a TDP of only 4.5W, I doubt this thing can pack a real punch. For 2D CAD it may perform very well. But it's very hard to say with a TDP that low. That's even a fraction of the low end Core i3. Again, I'd be cautious but then again it does have a max frequency of 2.7GHz. It may do well.

Best thing to do is literally test it and see how it does. :)

-TZ

Yep...about the testing. It looks like I'm going to have to do it. I was hoping someone had already tried it. Thanks for your input.

We are in the same boat. If you do test it and find it working satisfactorily please update this post. Feedback will be appreciated. I only need to run LT version so I guess I should be mostly fine.