Struggling with a couple of aspects of creating a template.

kippax

Need to correct a set of dwt templates that are riddled with errors, the main one being the fact that it loses a lot of perimeter detail when plotted or converted to pdf.

None of the border/limit/seem to line up.

If you look at the image below, the inside border is a VP, so that's fine, there is then a dotted perimeter, the drawing border and final border in pink.

I know from a template that works where I need each of those to be positioned, but no idea how to go about it.

I have tried the command LIMITS, but it wont adjust these.... "Cannot set paper space limits when paper margins or background are displayed."

The basic layout template is set at ISO A0 841x1189 which corresponds to the pink border and is the size I require.

Capture.JPG

Use the "Full Bleed" paper sizes to print to the edges. Be warned that anything close to the edge may not print on all printers. You need to find out what the margins are for the printer you will be using and adjust the title block to fit.

The dashed lines represent the limits to which AutoCAD will plot objects. Objects on or over the dashed lines will not be printed. Anyone who designs a layout should be fully aware of this and setup their titleblock and border accordingly or they are just asking for trouble.

The dashed lines represent the limits to which AutoCAD will plot objects. Objects on or over the dashed lines will not be printed. Anyone who designs a layout should be fully aware of this and setup their titleblock and border accordingly or they are just asking for trouble.

So that's the "Plot Area" .... the question is, how do I adjust it ?

If that is the available plot area, why is it so small in relation to the standard paper sizes ?

What is the point of using standard paper sizes if I then have to shrink everything down to get it inside the plot area ?

Good questions. Ask AutoDesk.

My guess is that it harkens back to the days when pen plotters had roller wheels for moving the paper through the plotter and "hard clip" areas were introduced to prevent slow drying ink from getting smeared by the roller wheels.

It probably also takes into account that most companies have their drawing borders set in a minimum distance from the edge of the paper for aesthetic reasons. For example we set our borders 5/8" in from the top, bottom and right sides and 1.5" from the left (for binding purposes).

How much is so small? I have a border line 10 mm inside the edge of the paper and regularly have viewports extended to that line, so my drawing is just 20mm smaller than the paper size. Can you post a copy of your template

I'm unable to upload the templates themselves due to the file size limit, so hopefully these images of the A0 template will suffice.

The first is with the border and title block full size, the second image with the "x" suffix is after I have shrunk everything to fit the plot area.

Capture1.jpg

Capture1x.jpg

If that is the available plot area, why is it so small in relation to the standard paper sizes ?

What is the point of using standard paper sizes if I then have to shrink everything down to get it inside the plot area ?

One size does not fit all printers. Some printers can get very close to the edge, others not so close. The point is to plan ahead and use the area available.

Also, you should have more than one option for the same paper size. Why have you not tried the full bleed option I mentioned before? Your title block can go right up to the edge of the paper if you want. That is if you don't care if the entire PDF will print to paper because of printer limitations. You can also make custom paper sizes and assign your own printable area. The method differs depending on the printer driver.

Like everyone else get out your plotter manual it will have the HARD CLIP limits, if you draw a title block to exactly these limits chances are that 1 edge line will disappear. We have a pip marker bottom left, top right use Window and Center, correct scale, this way we know we will get all edges which are a couple of mm inside hard clip, this works for all our printers A0-A3-A4

An experienced user can reset the print area (the dashed line) to whatever size they want.

I would highly recommend NOT getting too close to the edge as different printers/plotters will (may) be used in the future by you or other unknown users.

I recommend setting a boundary that will ensure the drawing will print on ANY (appropriate) printer/plotter.

Part of creating a template is creating the template such that it will work in any conditions.

You can set it so that one size does fit all printers. That size will not (may not) be the max though.

Define the standard. Set it and forget it.