How is a mobile phone designed using AutoCAD?

Liu tree

The best approach would be to do it it 3D. However, you'll still have to create much of it in 2D then use the various 3D commands to arrive at the finished product.

what are the steps to designing it on AutoCAD?

Any help will be appreciated

What are your intentions with this design? Are you making a block or something to put into other drawings or graphical element or are you looking to design an actual phone from idea to production?

If you are just creating a graphical elements i would follow remark's suggestion.

If you are trying to design a phone from the ground up CAD is going to be a small part of that puzzle and you might do better with one of AutoCAD verticls like their design suit (http://www.autodesk.com/suites/product-design-suite/overview)

I recently saw an iPhone4 designed in 3D using AutoCAD 2007 so in the scheme of things I don't think it is all that difficult to do. Basically what are cell phones today other than small, mobile screens? It's not like you are creating a TV remote with all the buttons on it and a free-form shape.

I was thinking more along the lines of plug and play with the phone parts and pieces internally. I think inventor allows you to enter parameters and then it can auto generate a certain amount of the geometry.

Then again the manufactures may have models or blocks of the internals so that stuff may already be done for the op.

Given the vagueness of the inquiry we can only guess at what the OP wants to do. If he wants to include all the minutiae of the internals then I would agree Inventor would probably be a better choice. But that does present another problem. Does he have Inventor or at least have access to the program? If not is he a student? Perhaps he should consider Fusion 360?

I sometimes get fed up with people saying 'I have designed a phone/car/bike/whatever' and 'now how do I get someone to make it?'

NO.

You have draw a pretty picture showing the exterior of what you would like.

This is only an early stage of designing a product.

what are the steps to designing it

In my world product design includes, but is not restricted to-

• Working out just what you want to make, and what you want it to look like. (Pretty picture).
  • Deciding how much you can sell it for in the marketplace, this will set your overall budget, not all of which can be used for manufacture.
  • Checking any standards that it has to conform to.
  • Selecting materials for looks, strength, manufacturability, etc.
  • Selecting any off-the-shelf components you may need.
  • Working out how everything is going to fit together, bearing in mind ergonomics (and your original pretty picture).
  • Deciding what manufacturing processes to use, which comes back to materials and may change your initial choice.
  • Creating engineering drawings so that components can be manufactured.
  • Creating assembly drawings to show how it all fits together.
  • Don't forget that you should be doing costings at each stage, no use making something if it's too expensive to sell.
  • Build a prototype, and test it.
  • Go back and make changes if needed.
  • Repeat until it is fit for market.
  • You now need packaging, user manuals, service manuals, etc.

Most of these stages will be overlapping and going on at the same time rather than being distinct steps.

And the final product will not look exactly like your initial pretty picture, it may be close but rarely exactly the same.

Just imagining how something will look and drawing a pretty picture is not product design, it is just a very early step in the design.

I sometimes get fed up with people saying 'I have designed a phone/car/bike/whatever' and 'now how do I get someone to make it?'

Give a guy a chance before making assumptions. The OP never even said that he had a concept. Maybe they just want to draw/model it for fun.

SMH

The OPs question was how to do it in AutoCAD. How much of that list can be done in AutoCAD? Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Since he states "in AutoCAD", the obvious conclusion would be that he meant draw and not design, because the actual design is done outside of AutoCAD, maybe in a manner that you have described. Drawings produced by AutoCAD are just a means to communicate that design.

Give a guy a chance before making assumptions. The OP never even said that he had a concept. Maybe they just want to draw/model it for fun.

SMH

The OPs question was how to do it in AutoCAD. How much of that list can be done in AutoCAD? Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Since he states "in AutoCAD", the obvious conclusion would be that he meant draw and not design, because the actual design is done outside of AutoCAD, maybe in a manner that you have described. Drawings produced by AutoCAD are just a means to communicate that design.

Making mountains out of molehills is what the internet is all about... that and lots and lots of lewd photos. :)

Making mountains out of molehills is what the internet is all about...

No, it's not, but a lot of people on the internet take the opportunity to do that. It's more about what society is about. I just joined a group called Abolish Super Sensitivity on FB.

He stated "designing it on AutoCAD" - so I gave him a breakdown of a simplified product design process to show that it involves more than just the draughting package.

My ranty bit was just a general observation not a comment on the OPs question, which is why I put it before I quoted his question and then gave an answer.

He stated "designing it on AutoCAD" - so I gave him a breakdown of a simplified product design process to show that it involves more than just the draughting package.

My ranty bit was just a general observation not a comment on the OPs question, which is why I put it before I quoted his question and then gave an answer.

It was quite obvious why you said what you did, but ranting to a first time poster is just a bit over the top and quite possibly might deter him from returning.

It was quite obvious why you said what you did, but ranting to a first time poster is just a bit over the top and quite possibly might deter him from returning.
Each to our own opinions of how to reply to vague inquiries.

PS. I wouldn't bother too much about him not returning, he was never going to do that anyway.

He's a spammer.

(I hadn't checked before because I don't moderate here).

It's more than an opinion. It's basic common courtesy.

Pulling up unverifiable information from who knows where after the fact doesn't help your argument very much.

Pulling up unverifiable information from who knows where after the fact doesn't help your argument very much.

Actually its quite easy to verify if you know what to look for.

(10+ years of moderating a forum helps).

In fact I had a conversation by PM with Tiger a few months ago about the type of spamming that he is doing, after it came up on another thread.

I won't go into details; why tell spammers how we spot them?

what are the steps to designing it on AutoCAD?

Any help will be appreciated

How much AutoCAD experience/training do you have.

What have you attempted so far on this project (attach your *.dwg file here)?

The first step might be to create rectangle and Extrude or Presspull.

Attach your file here for next step.