Integration of different software

dkeran

Hi all,

I am wondering how different organisations or people handle the integration of several software packages. The only major project I worked on which was designed in 3D (BIM) used several softwares such as Revit, Civil 3D, Navisworks Microstation 3D & Autocad 3D. Generally 2D information was extracted from Revit into AutoCAD and drawings were presented in that manner (the revit models were issued to the contractor as well as the 2D drawings).

There were two systems running side by side for the filing structure - the 2D drawing files and the 3D model files. If a change was made to the 3D model it required the 2D drawing to be updated also to reflect these changes.

Is this generally how a project is handled between 2D & 3D or have people worked differently? I'd imagine keeping the files original format would be preferential, ie. revit drawings are PDF'd from Revit rather than information exported to AutoCAD?

No, that is not how it is generally handled for AutoCAD and Revit. That approach is usually taken by people just starting out with Revit and do not know how to have a complete drawing set created and printed in Revit. Mostly because they are comfortable with drawing output from AutoCAD. What most don't realize is that Revit is capable of the 2D aspect of the project as well as the modeling. There is a learning curve and you have to get your head out of the AutoCAD mindset. It does take a while to get there, though. While Revit is not as good as AutoCAD when it comes to printing, you can get very close. 2D linework in Revit is not as robust, but it is very doable. Scheduling can be automatic, too. No more filling out tables. A lot of AutoCAD people have a hard time realizing this and don't get there until their companies drop AutoCAD altogether.

HTH.

I presume the simple task of title blocks between different softwares wouldn't be an issue? Also things like plot styles, again I presume it is a simple enough task to generate PDF's froms everal softwares which will match each other in relation to lineweights, etc.?

Yeah, no, not so simple. That is why doing it all from one platform is preferred. Trying to get get matching output from different software is nearly impossible. You can get very close, but there are always going to be differences and there is a lot of trial and error.

Hi all,

I am wondering how different organisations or people handle the integration of several software packages. The only major project I worked on which was designed in 3D (BIM) used several softwares such as Revit, Civil 3D, Navisworks Microstation 3D & Autocad 3D. Generally 2D information was extracted from Revit into AutoCAD and drawings were presented in that manner (the revit models were issued to the contractor as well as the 2D drawings).

There were two systems running side by side for the filing structure - the 2D drawing files and the 3D model files. If a change was made to the 3D model it required the 2D drawing to be updated also to reflect these changes.

Is this generally how a project is handled between 2D & 3D or have people worked differently? I'd imagine keeping the files original format would be preferential, ie. revit drawings are PDF'd from Revit rather than information exported to AutoCAD?

I caught a presentation where a company exclusively used Autodesk software. It sounded pretty neat but I'm short on the explicits of their work flow etc.

I spoke with the Autodesk rep and he had a lot to say about the new coordination model. That seemed to be their go to for integrating all the different disciplines without having to all use the same software. Basically your department dumps it all into a navis works file that can be loaded into CAD like an xref.

On my end of things the standard requires it to all be dropped back to vanilla CAD so i don't have much headache trying to integrate on that end.

I am using Navisworks at the moment to integrate various disciplines, it works fantastic for getting a good hold of what's happening in an area and can be a very useful tool for providing a point of discussion with clients, site staff, etc. Also it can be used on iPads on site which the site teams also find very useful.

It seems, so far, as though there is no definitely method of integrating various software into one outcome. I'd prefer to use as little software as possible to reduce costs so the sounds of everything being produced by Autodesk software sounds quite good. In theory, at the moment, all I would require is AutoCAD, Revit, Civil 3D & Navisworks. Though there is a local authority that we do a lot of work for that insists on receiving Microstation files so that, in time, could throw a spanner in the works.