New computer build for CAD and rendering

Josua

Hey!

I'm in the process of buying a stationary computer for work and would like some input on my current idea for components. My work consists of (apart from all ordinary office stuff) mainly building medium-ish sized models of kitchen interiors in Rhino + Grasshopper, and then rendering different angles in Flamingo Nxt (I'm architect at a kitchen/interior carpentry). I know this is posted under "AutoCAD", but I figured my question is more of a general type anyways...

The models are not at all too heavy, but rendering takes way too long at the laptop (:cry:) I'm working on right now. So while I'm not doing the most detailed/complex/large models, I still want them to flow smoothly while working, and then render quickly as I normally want to produce ~5 angles in short time (plus a lot of quick test renders).

I've been working on a component list at a Swedish (where I live) computer website where I can change configuration starting from a standard setup. A word here and there is in Swedish, but the component names are ofc the same as anywhere:

5025f40fa036d71ee910d752c2c345cd8a658d09.png

Link to the site where I can make the different choices (this is their standard configuration):

https://www.komplett.se/k/config.aspx?ConfigSystemId=10939

So, a few questions:

- The 6-core CPU that is standard in this configuration should be more than enough right? They have an 8-core as second option, but it adds some 900 USD or so to the price...

- Is 32 Gb RAM overkill, is 16 enough? On my current laptop I only use 4 of 8 Gb when the CPU is maxed out, but maybe this CPU will perform well enough to allow full use of 16 Gb RAM?

- I guess the GPU listed above should be well enough for my needs?

- Is there any "weak link" in my setup that I should upgrade to optimize the setup?

- Is there any "overkill" component that never will use it's full potential?

Any comments on the list above would be greatly appreciated. I've been trying to read up on this but it's quite a jungle for a beginner... Feel free to ask questions if you need a better picture of my needs.

Thanks,

Josua

Also, worth to mention: obviously, more is always better when it comes to computers, but the question is how much time it saves me and to what cost?

Thing is, my renders are not hour long processes even now with my 2 cores @ 1,4 GHz, they're more like 5-10 min each... But as they slow down any other applications (by using 100% CPU), I'm stuck wasting a lot of time if I do many renders in a day (including test renders). But the question for me now is not "how do I make the time as short as possible?" but rather "how do I make 5-10 min into 1-2 min?". If 6 cores and 16 Gb RAM gets me down to 1 min, I won't spend 1000 USD more to get to 30 sec...

Obviously the times above are just examples, but hopefully it illustrates what I'm looking for. :)

The best option, if you've got the money, is to buy two computers. One for working and the other for rendering. I'm not sure how Rhino works, but most 3D programs allow you to send your render jobs to another computer on your network for rendering so you can keep working instead of having to sit and wait for renders to finish.

As for the computer setup you described, 16gb RAM would be the minimum that I would recommend. You definitely don't want to go any lower. Trust me, I tried and had problems. I currently have 24gb RAM installed and everything runs smoothly.

The 6 core processor will probably be ok, but remember that render speed has a lot to do with how many cores you have, so 8 cores would be better.

Thank you! Yes, I suppose two computers make sense, but in this case I think it would be overkill. I can certainly see a lot of benefits if working on bigger models and longer renders, but in my case it may be a lot of extra money for relatively small time gain...

I am leaning towards 32 Gb RAM, as there seems to be no reason not to. I do however find the choice between 6 and 8 cores a little tricky... In the end, I think the 6 cores would do, especially if I was to overclock it.

On second thoughts, after reading a bit more, it seems like the 8-core one would be the better choice IF I was to actually overclock it... The 6-core may be more relevant if I don't.

Well looking at the Flamingo website it seems to be a CPU based (not GPU) rendering engine so more cores are usually better. This leads me to my next comment on why are you spec'ing a Quadro based card when Rhino itself doesn't need that nor will Flamingo use it. Generally I would go with a GTX based card with a bit more ram but the site you are using seems to have high prices for the GTX units or it seems to for that currency. Get 32gb of ram if you can but this will not speed up renders any. It looks like a great system but I am not sure if you will decrease your render time by that amount. Good luck and let us know how you get on after you make your decision. :)

GPU is probably the component I know least about... I chose a Quadro based on the fact that they are often listed as recommended for CAD. But I'll be sure to look this up more closely and ask at the McNeel forums as well!

The standard option at the site I'm using is a MSI GeForce GT 610, would that also be a better option than the Quadro or are you only suggesting the GTX cards?

As for RAM, I'll be going for 32 Gb while I'm at it... And I'm leaning toward getting the 5960x and overclocking it to a "safe" level slightly below it's max. That way I will have plenty of cores for rending and still good GHz.

I'll keep you posted with my final adjustments ;-)

Hi Josua, many of us here have used both GeForce and Quadro cards and seen no improvement in performance in ACAD, Inventor and I would assume in Rhino from the Quadro cards. I would go with the GTX as they have a bit more punch than the GT series. I use a GTX in both my work and home machine with no issues what so ever. I am not saying that they won't work well but I just think for most people the gain is not worth the money spent. Yes, check with the McNeel forums. They have the experience in the cards.

Sean

Yeah, I don't think there should be any difference in Rhino compared to ACAD and I had one more person suggesting the same change to GTX on another forum. He also was kind enough to put together a similar set of components, but better ones, for the same price on another site, so I'm currently working from this setup:

http://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/8880868/2015-12-11

Should work great, even for overclocking CPU a little...

When it comes to rendering you want cores more than speed. You want to be as fast as possible but if you can get more cores and lose a little speed you will be better off.

Have the multiple cores you can process more data.

Why not look at the computer you get and build it just to render and keep using the laptop.

Just a thought.