Size of a border

welldriller

I have never used a border on drawings before but wanted one for this drasing.

i made the border in a 1 inch square and made a block out of it so that i could fit it around any size drawing. The problem is i only have a 81/2" x 11inch printer. When i had it enlarged at a print shop the border to me is way to big. Any suggestions on how to correct this? (no i can not afford a plotter)

Sorry do not have copy of drawing with me today --- will try again next time thought i could delete this but forgot how.

What do you mean the border is way too big?

I would just create a title block and border for the particular sheet size I normally use and make it part of my template. One and done.

What do you mean the border is way too big?

I would just create a title block and border for the particular sheet size I normally use and make it part of my template. One and done.

Sounds like a great idea. i can only print out on a 8-1/2" X 11" sheet of paper. i have not needed a border before but wanted one for this drasing. i will try to up load the drawing and the border. when you have the drawing inlarged, it also inlarges the border.

you will have to use the view "all" command

Chuck complete.dwg

Copy of web border.dwg

I think the idea of a 1x1 block for a title block and border is not a good way to go. Create a new template based on a 8.5x11 piece of paper. Personally, I think your border is a bit too busy (ex. - you don't need the letters & numbers on the perimeter) for the type of drawing you are doing.

You call out the scale in your title block and border as 12"=1'. That is not a typical architectural scale for a floor plan done in imperial units. Depending on the size of the building most are either 1/8"=1'-0" or 1/4"=1'-0".

When you insert your block into a 8.5x11 format what scale are you assigning to X and Y? Obviously not the same scale.

BTW...wouldn't your design be considered a prefabricated house?

Additionally, wouldn't the exterior walls be more than 4" thick? If you are using 2x4 construction with 1/2" wallboard on the interior face what is being used for the exterior sheathing? It can't be just Tyvek.

Why are you showing a 42" wide entrance door? Is there a sidelite? Isn't 36" the norm?

Edited by ReMark

No reply? Guess I'm left to my own devices then. Here is something to ponder.

I'm assuming that when you insert your block you leave a small amount of free space between the edge of the paper and your border. What you end up with then is something like this. Notice the size of the area (green cross) left for displaying your drawing.

web1.jpg

Now if we were to rework your whole title block and border to something along these lines notice the size of the area available for displaying your drawing. The distance between the edge of paper and the border is exactly the same as when I used your block.

web2.jpg

BTW...most people use initials and not full names in their title blocks. And for a drawing that is this small I would forego the use of a revision block.

Oops. I see I forgot to put Drawn By: on the proper layer. My bad.

Here is a closeup view of the logo I came up with.

weblogo.JPG

I think the idea of a 1x1 block for a title block and border is not a good way to go. Create a new template based on a 8.5x11 piece of paper. Personally, I think your border is a bit too busy (ex. - you don't need the letters & numbers on the perimeter) for the type of drawing you are doing.

no argument there - but i did knot know of another way at that time.

You call out the scale in your title block and border as 12"=1'. That is not a typical architectural scale for a floor plan done in imperial units. Depending on the size of the building most are either 1/8"=1'-0" or 1/4"=1'-0".

that should not be on there - that is the model space that it is drawn at. i use English units not imperial.

When you insert your block into a 8.5x11 format what scale are you assigning to X and Y? Obviously not the same scale.

good question but i do not know how to explain it in words. sorry

BTW...wouldn't your design be considered a prefabricated house?

not sure where you got the BTW from?

Additionally, wouldn't the exterior walls be more than 4" thick? If you are using 2x4 construction with 1/2" wallboard on the interior face what is being used for the exterior sheathing? It can't be just Tyvek.

Chuck wants something he can build at home and haul to his beach lot (rented) so that he does not have to use his pull behind RV. This is to save him from setup in summer and take home in winter. He has a barn big enough for his RV and to build this. They use the RV to go to Nascar races at Martinsville, Va.

Why are you showing a 42" wide entrance door? Is there a sidelite? Isn't 36" the norm?

i may wont to go and visit and i am short, fat and bald :) and easier to get furniture in.

I'm assuming that when you insert your block you leave a small amount of free space between the edge of the paper and your border. What you end up with then is something like this. Notice the size of the area (green cross) left for displaying your drawing.

[ATTACH]56388[/ATTACH]

Now if we were to rework your whole title block and border to something along these lines notice the size of the area available for displaying your drawing. The distance between the edge of paper and the border is exactly the same as when I used your block.

[ATTACH]56389[/ATTACH]

BTW...most people use initials and not full names in their title blocks. And for a drawing that is this small I would forego the use of a revision block.

[ATTACH]56390[/ATTACH]

i very much like your idea. i do not understand how to make a border for 81/2" X 11" paper and put a drawing inside it that is say 80 foot long and 65 foot tall. Guess i will have to work on that.

Your profile says you are located in Kentucky. Last time I checked that state was still a part of the United States. Units are either imperial (what we use in the U.S.) or metric what the other 99% of the world uses. What are English units?

To get an 80 foot long building on a 8.5x11 piece of paper you can draw it full size in model space then elect to scale it down when it comes time to print or you can make use of a paper space layout and at least one viewport. It is the viewport that the scale would be assigned to. We don't draw "to scale" as one might do on a drafting board. A viewport is just a window that allows the user to see what they have created back in model space. When it comes time to print from a layout you do so at a 1:1 scale; AutoCAD will handle scaling what is in the viewport automatically.

Your profile says you are located in Kentucky. Last time I checked that state was still a part of the United States. Units are either imperial (what we use in the U.S.) or metric what the other 99% of the world uses. What are English units?

Well you got me again. But you have to remember, you have more knowledge & experence in your little finger than i do in my whole body. and yes i use imperial.

To get an 80 foot long building on a 8.5x11 piece of paper you can draw it full size in model space then elect to scale it down when it comes time to print or you can make use of a paper space layout and at least one viewport. It is the viewport that the scale would be assigned to. We don't draw "to scale" as one might do on a drafting board. A viewport is just a window that allows the user to see what they have created back in model space. When it comes time to print from a layout you do so at a 1:1 scale; AutoCAD will handle scaling what is in the viewport automatically.

This i need to work on. i have never used viewport but i admit i need to learn how. i draw everthing to scale in model space and print it at fit page (forgot the correct saying) i do thank you for all of your time and advise.

The "old school" way of doing it before the introduction of paper space layouts was to scale one's border up using the inverse of the scale one would be plotting the drawing at. So if you planned on printing a drawing at a scale of 1/4"=1'-0" then the scale factor would be 1/4 x 12 or 48. Then at plot time you would select the scale of 1/4"=1'-0" in the plot dialog window and AutoCAD would scale the drawing down to fit the paper. "48" would be considered the "scale factor" and this was also used to determine the height of one's text, size of dimension arrowheads and other dimension style parameters. We probably have a couple dozen building layouts and site plans that were done in this manner dating back to the mid to late 1990's.

ok thanks ReMark Hope you have time off for the Christmas holidays and new year. i will be back after the first of the year. Library closed till then.

• 1 month later...

[ATTACH]56388[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]56389[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]56390[/ATTACH]

ReMark: I like your design on this. May i have your permission to use it.