Help with 2D helix

kjetilhansen

Hello all :)

I have for a while now encountered a big problem for me drawing a helix in Autocad in 2D. This also include the calculations :ouch:

What I am trying to do is bend som acrylic plastic in a helix, but to do this I need to draw it and print out a 2D drawing of the helix, wrap it around a rod that is the ID of the helix...

Is there somone that could spare 2 minutes to help me with this drawing? :)

The helix rod is 4.8mm thick the helix should be 95mm high (+ - 5mm) the ID for the cylinder is 24mm and I am hoping for 4 turns...

If anyone wounders, I am making a replica of a movie prop from the movie Resident Evil, and need to bend the acrylic that is seen inside of the cylinder, Ill attatch a picture of my progress this far.

vial.jpg

Hello all :)

I have for a while now encountered a big problem for me drawing a helix in Autocad in 2D. This also include the calculations :ouch:

What I am trying to do is bend som acrylic plastic in a helix, but to do this I need to draw it and print out a 2D drawing of the helix, wrap it around a rod that is the ID of the helix...

Is there somone that could spare 2 minutes to help me with this drawing? :)

The helix rod is 4.8mm thick the helix should be 95mm high (+ - 5mm) the ID for the cylinder is 24mm and I am hoping for 4 turns...

If anyone wounders, I am making a replica of a movie prop from the movie Resident Evil, and need to bend the acrylic that is seen inside of the cylinder, Ill attatch a picture of my progress this far.

Im not sure a printed 2D helix is what you need. if you wrap a 2D print of a helix around a rod as a template, it wont be a helix.. unless i'm just really missing something. you would wrap a straight line around a rod to get a helix so you don't need a drawing of a helix but a straight line.

If you don't know the size of the rod you need to bend around i believe you can subtract twice the diameter of the helix rod from the ID of the tube which is 14.4 (I might go a little smaller to ensure it actually fits with in it)

You can just mark even spaced points on the face of your bending rod to get the number of turns you need. THe only complicated thing that would require drawing is if you are limited by the length of your acrylic. If this is the case you can solve this by considering each turn as the length of a hypotenuse of a triangle made up of the height/n (n= number of turns) and width (width is the circumference of the ID) once you figure out the hypotenuse you multiply that by n and if your acrylic isn't as long as n times the hypotenuse the you acrylic isnt long enough you have to reduce your n or turns

EDIT: rough calculation is something like 318 mm of acrylic rod around a 14.4 OD rod... unless i totaly noob it up lol

I just drawed the helix in 3D and projected it to 2D, and then read the post to mr. TheCADnoob, and he is right, I need to make a 2D drawing that I can glue on a rod, and heat and bend acrylic around. I remember I tried to draw this abot a year ago, but failed, I can't remember what I did wrong, but I belive I had some problem with the calculation of PI...

When you flatten it out, you will just have a straight line, the only thing you need to find is the circumference on the inside of the helix. This will depend on the diameter of the rod you have to bend around, just alter the width of the flat drawing to suit the circumference.

Img204.jpg

Edited by steven-g

Thank you all for the help :) The helix was not perfect, but good enough for what I was doing :)

It does need some tweaking, but this is a quick fix.

spiral.jpg