AutoCAD 2015 Xrefing in MEP File

i3dMEP

This has been posted before but I have yet to find a solution that works for me. I have little experience with AutoCAD MEP so please pardon any ignorance on my part.

We use AutoCAD 2015 and model our elements using Fabrication CADmep. When we get files created with AutoCAD MEP and we try to XREF them in, they show up as 2d single line in plan view when we want to see everything in 3d wireframe. If I open these files up, everything is 3d as they should be.

I have had limited success in the past using DISPLAYMANAGERCONFIGSELECTION command and manually selecting a display configuration that works before saving. However, this only worked on a couple files that must've been saved a certain way. The files seem to automatically set themselves to STANDARD display configuration and I am guessing the problem lies in that my install of AutoCAD just doesn't know what to do, so it just displays in 2d single line.

Can you tell me what I need to do to get these files to display properly in 3d wireframe as XREF's so that my guys can see what they're doing?

Thank you.