Items Not Showing

resullins

Ok, I'm not great at Revit, and I have a MONSTER file that's giving me some trouble.

I'm attempting to create some views to export to AutoCAD with the model.

So, for example, I'm in the overall building floorplan, and I created a section. I then get a warning that says some objects might be visible, yadayadayada... but I go into the Visibility/Graphics Overrides, and SECTIONS is checked? I then go into a pre-made section, and the grid lines and level markers aren't there. I go into V/G Override, and GRID is checked?

What gives? I'm sure I'm missing something ridiculous. And no, I can't post the model. :cry:

Actually, V/G can be complicated. I couldn't find it with a quick search but over at RevitForum there is a list addressing the possibilities that is at least 30 items long.

So, I'm not sure if this was a glitch or a legit thing I was overlooking... but when I changed the scale, I could see my items. They had the scale set at 1" = 50'. I feel like that would have made the items just too large to show! :D

Thank you guys for the link to RevitForum. I'll have to go over there and join that. You guys are always my go-to!

@tzframpton: THANK YOU!!!!! I bet that's exactly what it is. Because they appeared when I changed to 1/8" scale! And I'm going through the list now, as I'm now missing some room tags! Yay.

This is going to sound crazy but, turning everything off and taking some time to explore what turns on what, one category at a time, helped me start to get my head around it.

Another approach is turn on everything and turn off what you don't need utilizing the right click menu item "Hide in View" and checking V/G Overrides to see what category got turned off.

@Rob: That's something that I would love to do. But for this one, I just don't have the time. We're doing the Sacramento Kings Arena audio/video system. And they have to have drawings by the end of January.

Ok, so after almost giving up... I went and just decided to add new Room Tags. Because "ain't nobody got time for this ****." And I get a pop-up that says "Rooms are not visible in this view, would you like to make them visible?" I click yes. Nothing new appears, but I'm then able to put in my Room Tags, and there you have it.

1. I clicked Reveal Hidden Elements... everything should be visible, no?

2. ROOMS were checked as being visible.

3. I know these rooms are tagged in the model, so why don't they have tags even after I click that I want to see them?

I know, these are all things I should probably know. And I'm going through the list, but some of them don't quite make sense to me, and some of them do, but I have no idea how to fix them. And yes, I know I just need to learn to use the program from the ground up... that will be my new year's resolution.

@tzframpton: THANK YOU!!!!! I bet that's exactly what it is. Because they appeared when I changed to 1/8" scale! And I'm going through the list now, as I'm now missing some room tags! Yay.
Tags work differently. A Tag doesn't show up in all views, ONLY the view it was placed, since a tag simply "populates" information. So if a tag is missing, it's not actually missing, it's just never been placed. So you simply add a tag.

Sections are a real "object" that exist in the project in all views. Things like this work differently.

Tags work differently. A Tag doesn't show up in all views, ONLY the view it was placed, since a tag simply "populates" information. So if a tag is missing, it's not actually missing, it's just never been placed. So you simply add a tag.

Sections are a real "object" that exist in the project in all views. Things like this work differently.

Ok... that makes perfect sense. Even though I feel like perhaps that's not a very smart way to treat tags, I get it. Thanks for that! I'm exporting all over the place now.

I won't bore you with the tale of how long it took me to figure out there are different sets of "VIEWS" in the project browser, and I only had one visible. I turned them all on, and now, even though there are 4,571 to sift through, I'm now finding the ones I need!!!!!

Ok... that makes perfect sense. Even though I feel like perhaps that's not a very smart way to treat tags, I get it.
Actually it's the perfect way to handle tags. There's not really another option with the way Revit works.

I mean, it may be perfect for the program, but it doesn't make much functional sense to me. If you label a room in one view, why should you have to relabel it somewhere else? Of course, if I was making this model, I would have started with one floor plan and probably copied and cropped it for my uses. Which means my tags would have come along for the ride.

But in this project, they seem to have made totally new floor plans every time the enlarged a region. So I'm having to go in and put in room tags everywhere. Which is annoying.

What would be annoying is tagging something in one view and having it automatically tagged in a bunch of other views where it shouldn't be tagged. Tagging is easy.

Eh... we can agree to disagree on that. I can see how it would be annoying to retroactively show up in all the views you've already made. But having it be an option to show up would seriously make me happy.

Eh... we can agree to disagree on that. I can see how it would be annoying to retroactively show up in all the views you've already made. But having it be an option to show up would seriously make me happy.
There is an easy option, it's called "Tag All" or you can simply Copy/Paste view to view, or to any number of selected views. Or, Duplicate the View. Simple as that.

You see, Revit is based on Views, not on a Drawing Space like in AutoCAD. Revit is a single model, in which you slice and dice any which way you need via "Views". Certain Views are meant for certain information shown and you don't want all the tags of all the objects shown.

Think in AutoCAD if you had 60 DWG files, and each DWG file was a "sheet". Now, all these sheets have the same floor plan referenced and shown. Go to the parent XREF and add a layer + text. They show up now in all 60 sheets, in which you have to now go to each sheet and Freeze in the Viewport. This would be the safe effect. So adding the information in one view, it's easy to Copy/Paste using the Select View option and it'll "populate" in only the views you want, rather than the other way around.

Hope this makes more sense. :)

-TZ

Yeah... I get the concept. I really do. And it's probably only useful for the EXACT purposes I'm working with right now, hence why they don't do it this way. But for my EXACT purposes, it would be super helpful.

It's Christmas, I'm allowed to be selfish... wait... no... that's not right....