Private Message Allowance

Lee Mac

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason for the strict limit of 50 private messages in both Inbox & Sent Items?

I can't imagine that this restriction is due to a lack of server space - given the vast number of daily posts across all boards on the forums, I should think private messages would be a drop in the ocean as far as space is concerned.

I only raise the question as I find myself needing to go through and delete private messages on a regular basis, which is not a problem I encounter at other forums that I frequent.

Lee

The only reason is that that is the default for vBulletin. To be honest, I didn't realise is was just 50. I've increased the limit to 250 for the Forum Member and Super Moderator usergroups. Let me know you think it should be higher.

Thanks David. 250 is definitely an improvement, and will probably be more than enough for most casual members, but for the all the regulars and the moderators I think maybe it should be higher.

Maybe a structure like this:

Novice = 0 PM's

Junior Member and Full Member = 50 PM's

Senior Member = 100 PM's

Super Member = 250 PM's

Forum Deity, Luminous Being and Moderator = 500 PM's

Maybe I'm a bit OCD here, (moderator syndrome??) but I like to keep things cleared out.

In my opinion 50 PM's should be enough even for a supermod.

Surely most questions should be asked and answered in plain sight on the forum?

Yes, sometimes people need a private word (or warning) and there is always a case for moderators to share info that can not be seen by others.

Private Mods room? Not sure you have one here because I'm not a mod here, but if not then CAD64 will know what I mean.

In my opinion 50 PM's should be enough even for a supermod.

This forum is very active and I routinely have to go through and delete PM's. And many times I have needed to PM a member only to find out that I'm out of space and have to delete messages before I can send one. I also like to save messages until I'm sure I don't need them anymore. I know I can export them out and save to a text file, but I prefer to keep them here so that I can find them easily rather than digging through text files. 250 PM's is probably more than enough for most of us. I was just thinking that it might be nice to have more, but maybe not necessary.

Many thanks David - 250 will at least mean the task of deleting messages is a less frequent occurrence, though, is a PM limit absolutely necessary?

Essentially it's a security thing I guess. Potentially, the forum could be flooded with PMs causing DB problems and affecting server performance. Putting a finite limit on the number helps to avoid this but obviously there's a balance to be struck between security and effective use of the forum by valid members.

Thanks David. 250 is definitely an improvement, and will probably be more than enough for most casual members, but for the all the regulars and the moderators I think maybe it should be higher.

Maybe a structure like this:

Novice = 0 PM's

Junior Member and Full Member = 50 PM's

Senior Member = 100 PM's

Super Member = 250 PM's

Forum Deity, Luminous Being and Moderator = 500 PM's

Unfortunately, the options I have are not as granular as that. Can we stick with 250 for now and let me know if you reach that limit and we can review things then?

Unfortunately, the options I have are not as granular as that. Can we stick with 250 for now and let me know if you reach that limit and we can review things then?

No problem, it was just a thought. 250 should be fine.

No problem, it was just a thought. 250 should be fine.

I hardly use PMs, but have still found the limit to be surprisingly low, good move increasing the capacity. :beer: