zooming issue on 3d model with laptop

Jaad

Hello, I am currently designing a super gaming computer and with it there will be watercooling. I thought it would be a fun exercise to model everything in cad to get a general idea of what the insides would look like and to minimize actual design time.

-problem- I have most of the drawing completed but when trying to zoom in on the chassis to draw the tubing I get stuck as if cad is not responding to my mouse. but when I switch tabs over into a drawing I was doing for work (2d iso drafting) the zoom function works perfectly. the original limits I had were (in mm...m..metric something) -5000,-5000 x 5000,5000. overkill for a box that is 640x320x520 mm but its what I normally set. after using zoom/e and regen I am still stuck. removing the limits has no difference either. oddly enough I can use zoom/w but that is not nearly precise and efficient enough.

-laptop specs (before win10 removes speccy for the hundredth time)-

-Toshiba satellite

-i7 4710hq (2.5-3.5ghz)

-16 gig ddr3 1600mghz cas 11

-intel hd 4600 integrated graphics

could I be bottlenecking the system do to too much geometry in the field? (there are also about 2-3 dozen items with their layers turned off)

evK8QGp.jpg

When zooming hangs up, it's because the video card is pretty much full, and the OS is going to virtual memory (paging file). Type REGEN and hit enter, then zoom more. There are not many laptops with an on board graphics chip that can handle 3D AutoCad at all.

Also, limits is an anachronistic function left over from before paperspace. Forget you ever heard of it.

Using the regen like that wasn't working either. i'm also having the same issue on my desktop.

amd fx 4300 4.1ghz

radeon r9 290x 1.1ghz and 4gigs of vid memory

16 gigs of ddr3

looking at system usage:

memory usage is at 20%

gpu isint even under load (unlike playing ff14 where its near maxed out and at 88 degrees c) right now its at a cherry 36 degrees c

cpu is almost idle at 1.5 ghz and only on occasion boosting to 4.1 ghz

no dice on the overkill/purge/aduit method. although i am now very happy to know that the overkill command now exists. what i did as a temporary fix was to copy only what i needed and pasted it to a new drawing where none of the existing issues exist anymore. as for the old drawing i'll be saving it and as time allows i'll just make all the extra objects floating around into blocks and throw them in a tool palette for future usage. thank you both for your help, i'm going to like being around this community. not enough people in my life that love and enjoy autocad