Inserting Block Problem with the Little Blue Box

Casio47

Hello All,

When I select a block, already in my drawing, the block is highlighted, along with a small blue square to grab on to (I'm sorry I don't know the name of the little blue square). The problem, is the little blue square, is way away from the block object, so when I insert a block, the block is nowhere close to my insertion point.

How do I relocate the little blue box in my block drawing?

Thanks

Architect 2016

Hello All,

When I select a block, already in my drawing, the block is highlighted, along with a small blue square to grab on to (I'm sorry I don't know the name of the little blue square). The problem, is the little blue square, is way away from the block object, so when I insert a block, the block is nowhere close to my insertion point.

How do I relocate the little blue box in my block drawing?

Thanks

Architect 2016

The little blue block is called a grip. you can edit the block and move the grip. this is problematic if the drawing is already set the way you like it and the block is used several times as when you update the block it will move to the insertion point last used. .. granted this is with CAD but i assume (perhaps wrongly) that this is the case with Architect.

CADnoob is right. I would go into the original block file, or if you only want to edit it in one drawing use the "BEDIT" command. Once you are editing the block select the objects of the block and move them all from the point that you want to be the insertion point to 0,0,0. This will fix your problem.

The insertion point away from where you are inserting is probably done that way for a reason. BEDIT command is suggested in this case until you have researched as to "why" the insertion point is way out there. Omitting the research on something this simple, I've seen whole Architect Firms kicked off a project for something this simple. Just my 2 cents based on experience.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm getting back to this problem with the grip a long distance from the center of the block. I select the block, and go into block editor, the problem I'm having, is I'm not seeing the grip inside block editor, to move, or if I try BEDIT.

Thanks

I don't believe you will see the grip. While in BEDIT, in the parameters tab, scroll down until you see "Basepoint". This will allow you to change the insertion point to where you'd like it to be.

I don't believe you will see the grip. While in BEDIT, in the parameters tab, scroll down until you see "Basepoint". This will allow you to change the insertion point to where you'd like it to be.

I believe you will first need to issue the command "ID" using the method above if your insertion point isn't directly on an object. You will need to manually input the point you want with coordinates, using Basepoint. If not, you will need OSNAPS on to select a point on an object.

I believe you will first need to issue the command "ID" using the method above if your insertion point isn't directly on an object. You will need to manually input the point you want with coordinates, using Basepoint. If not, you will need OSNAPS on to select a point on an object.
The response by Mefloump is correct. Using the authoring palette in the block editor to put in a basepoint parameter takes care of what you suggest to do manually.

While in BEDIT, in the parameters tab, scroll down until you see "Basepoint". This will allow you to change the insertion point to where you'd like it to be.

That Worked thanks

... this is problematic if the drawing is already set the way you like it and the block is used several times as when you update the block it will move to the insertion point last used.

Before editing the block you could draw a line from the existing grip to the point inside the block where you will move the grip to. After editing the block and they all move to the new point you can QSELECT them and move from one end of the line to the other, hopefully ending in their original places.

• 9 months later...