Placing walls on every floor level or not in ACA

miroslav_s

Hello to you all and Happy New Year.

To my question. I started drawing my house, just for fun in Autocad Architecture. I created levels since my house has 3 floors.

Every level represents one floor. For each floor or level I created separate drawing of course. What I was wondering is how you do it when you draw external walls. Do you draw for each floor external walls or do you place your external walls to cover hole building on one drawing/level.

Hope you understand what I am asking.

Best regards to you all.

Miro

I'm not sure I am 100% clear. But here goes.

You have 3 levels to the building.

Each level will have its own floor plan in a seperate AutoCAD .dwg file

On each floor plan you will have the walls for each floor shown, not just one floor.

The reason you always show the walls for each level is because each levels walls might change. But even if the building was just a rectangle box for 3 levels, you still show the external walls on each floor plan.

Is that what you were asking?

Hello Andrew1979,

And YES!

This is exactly what I was asking. I have 3 floors building where every construct is representing each floor. This is how I did it:

1. Basement (including internal walls, doors,windows and external walls)

2. First floor (including internal walls, doors,windows and external walls)

3. Second floor (including internal walls, doors,windows and external walls)

4. roof

BUT Somewhere on internet I saw one ACA project showing building with several floors where external walls for hole building were shown on one construct and not seperatly. Like this:

1. Basement (including internal walls, doors,windows and external walls for all floor levels)

2. First floor (including internal walls, doors,windows)

3. Second floor (including internal walls, doors,windows )

4. Roof

Thanks again for helping me and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

This guide is a great place to get started if you just completed your initial training, or to refresh your memory if you use AutoCAD only occasionally. The included commands are grouped together according to types of activity, and are arranged to follow a general workflow.

Something has me confused. Why do you have the floors in separate drawings (files)?

You are drawing in 3D, so the exterior walls should be as high as the entire building. If you don't draw the exterior walls all the way up, your elevations will look like sections anywhere above the first floor.

Hello,

well I haven´t gotten so far as drawing sections and elevations on my project but I think you are right because I just did quick elevation drawing command from ACA and by the look it seems to show lines where external walls on each level begins and ends. I don´t want it to look that way so I guess the only right way is to draw external walls all the way up from ground to roof as one single external wall and not separate them for each level as I did. Look at the link here http://prntscr.com/9ly3nz so you can see what I mean.

Answer to your question: yes I am drawing in ACA and 3D. You asked me also why do I have separate drawings for each floor. Well , I thought that is the right way, I don´t know.

Something has me confused. Why do you have the floors in separate drawings (files)?

You are drawing in 3D, so the exterior walls should be as high as the entire building. If you don't draw the exterior walls all the way up, your elevations will look like sections anywhere above the first floor.

Okay, I thought you meant separate files. you should probably use more appropriate terminology. "Drawing" is a bit ambiguous as it can refer to files or layouts. I thought you were drawing the floors in separate files.

To answer your question. The exterior walls should be drawn continuous until there is a change. You are trying to draw a model of the house. If it doesn't look right, it probably needs to done differently.

Hi,

Ok thanks for the advice.

Okay, I thought you meant separate files. you should probably use more appropriate terminology. "Drawing" is a bit ambiguous as it can refer to files or layouts. I thought you were drawing the floors in separate files.

To answer your question. The exterior walls should be drawn continuous until there is a change. You are trying to draw a model of the house. If it doesn't look right, it probably needs to done differently.