Help With Filleting

hlshp

I am trying to teach myself AutoCAD via books/YouTube but I am stuck in one of the areas. Having selected the command and picked/inserted radius I get a green cross at the angle/junction and cannot progress any further. Grateful for any help. The version I am using is AutoCAD 14 Lt.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hlshp

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• tombu

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes I have it enabled. I select Filleting, select the first line in a rectangle, no problem, type in a radius hit enter, no problem. When I move the cursor to the second line a green cross appears at the intersection and "invalid selection" appears on the Command Line. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have tried different connotations, but same result.

Thanks

I am unable to reproduce your problem (re: green cross with the words "invalid selection").

Open a new drawing. Construct a rectangle and try the fillet command on one corner. What happens?

In older versions you could not use fillet to close a polyline. Will it work on a different corner of the rectangle?

The OP is using LT 2014 which isn't that old. Using full AutoCAD 2014 I can fillet a rectangle created with a polyline that is not fully closed (intentional gap) at one corner.

The OP is using LT 2014 which isn't that old. Using full AutoCAD 2014 I can fillet a rectangle created with a polyline that is not fully closed (intentional gap) at one corner.

I opened a new drawing and have created a rectangle myself and one via the tool box. Each time I get the same result: select Fillet, then I pick the line, it becomes broken and I am directed to select second object. I then get the green cross and error message. I have tried typing in the Radius size etc but the same result. I have tried with the object snap/Ortho mode on and off, no difference. I have been following guidance from a you tube clip and using the Dummies book and it seems so easy? Is there a problem with the basic AutoCAD set up I wonder?

I doubt there is a problem with AutoCAD itself but if you think there is you could always do a REPAIR of the installation. There is however no reason to do a full uninstall/reinstall.

Just for the heck of it save one of your drawings and attach it to your next post. I'd like to take a look at it. Thanks.

The first thing I noticed is the system variable TRIMMODE is "0" and not "1" as it should be.

I was able to apply a radius of 150 to every corner of every rectangle. I did not encounter the "invalid selection" message. The green cross is most likely the "intersection" osnap. When you make your picks try doing so a bit back from where two lines meet up.

I suggest that you enable ORTHOMODE (the F8 key) as it will keep your linework straight and avoid the "zigzags".

Here is your drawing back with fillets applied.

hlshp_fillet.dwg

I am trying to teach myself AutoCAD via books/YouTube but I am stuck in one of the areas. Having selected the command and picked/inserted radius I get a green cross at the angle/junction and cannot progress any further. Grateful for any help. The version I am using is AutoCAD 14 Lt.

reading the command line at every step helps a lot. especially when things aren't working.

I have typed in TRIMMODE on the command Line and changed the variable to 1 but I still get the error message and cannot fillet. I have opened the drawing you returned and can fillet, no problem.

I have both your drawing and another open and the TRIMMODE settings seem the same for both, its odd it works on one but not the other?

I don't think it has anything to do with TRIMMODE.

Do you have problems with any other commands?

Where are you located by the way?

Hi, I have not encountered any other issues at the moment. I am very new to this and I am working my way through an AutoCAD Dummies book and You Tube videos. I find the programme difficult to comprehend but hitherto have managed OK. The latest video I watched was related to filleting and I have come unstuck as you can see.

I opened your drawing and have played around filleting no problem. I have opened a new tab and constructed some boxes etc but the green cross + error message appears.

The software I am using was pre-used by a former employee. Is it possible that there is an issue with the initial AutoCAD set up?

I am in Germany.

If you think there might be an issue then run the REPAIR option or better yet click on the Windows START button, then go to All Programs > AutoDesk > AutoDesk LT 2014 find and click on Reset Settings to Default. Once you have done that open AutoCAD and test. No matter which option you choose you'll have to close AutoCAD LT 2014 first.

The first thing I noticed is the system variable TRIMMODE is "0" and not "1" as it should be.]

If it should be 1, why is it an option?

I use both settings on a regular basis, depending on what I am doing.

Hi, I have tried that with no change. I notice that after I select the first object and then type in the radius and press enter I get the invalid selection message. I have tried all connotations of r+ 1500,10etc and R- 015...... very frustrating?

What exactly did you try?

Let's change up what you are doing. Start the FILLET command. At the first prompt type "R" for radius, input the radius and press Enter. Now, pick one line then a line that is perpendicular to it. Does the command work? Yes or no?