Preview drawing before printing

freeedoom

Hi guys,

Is it possible to specify zoom factor that will show on my monitor same size as will printed on paper?

For example: i'm making drawing in 1:100 scale in milimeters,

and before printing it i want to make sure that everything is readable.

I know that depands on screen resolution, dpi and pixel size.

There is a Zoom Original on the preview tool bar, but it doesn't work the way one would expect, which is a result of about 25% actual size.

I find it critical enough to test print for the same reason sometimes. I print to pdf, and then Zoom Actual Size. Adobe Reader does display it to actual size. Close enough to take measurements right off the screen.

You only have to mess with one page to test font sizes.

I find it critical enough to test print for the same reason sometimes. I print to pdf, and then Zoom Actual Size. Adobe Reader does display it to actual size. Close enough to take measurements right off the screen.
That solution has been right in front of me the whole time. It would have come in handy a few months ago when I was drawing gasket templates for a local machine shop. Thumbs up on this answer!

Interesting idea, I usually print a hard copy and then adjust as neccessary, but adjusting the screen size to suit sounded like a good idea. Anyways here's a simple macro that works for me

^C^C^CZ;OB;\;Z;$M=$(*,1.17,$(getvar,cannoscalevalue));

The numer "1.17" in the macro is a result of the pysical screen resolution height (1920 x 1200) divided by the Autocad screen drawing size (1780 x 1034 from the variable screensize) and then fudged a bit, because zooming to an object actually leaves a couple of pixels free space around the object so 1200/1034=1.16 which gives good results for just visual checking, but changing that value to 1.17 actually scales perfectly.

This only works in model space and uses the annotation scale from the status bar to show objects as they would be scaled on paper.

The macro lets you pick an object which will be centered on the screen. If anyone wants to try it out you might need to adjust the macro to suit yourself, I just found it interesting to try.

That solution has been right in front of me the whole time. It would have come in handy a few months ago when I was drawing gasket templates for a local machine shop. Thumbs up on this answer!
Yeah, just be sure you are using the native screen resolution in Control Panel.

I gotta laugh every time someone else posts here. Not at anyone in particular but the entire concept of having your monitor reflect true size of a plot. The first time I put a scale to a monitor I laughed my (you know what) off, at myself. I wasn't trying to get an real measurement but a ratio of a couple of measurements. It was on a "flat screen" CRT which wasn't quite flat. Anyway, I did do it a number of times afterwards and every time I remembered how funny I thought it was the first time. So, to this day, it still cracks me up.

IMHO though, the only real value I see in it is saving paper. How much paper you save for a couple of test plots? Well, I guess your mileage may vary.

I gotta laugh every time someone else posts here. Not at anyone in particular but the entire concept of having your monitor reflect true size of a plot. The first time I put a scale to a monitor I laughed my (you know what) off, at myself. I wasn't trying to get an real measurement but a ratio of a couple of measurements. It was on a "flat screen" CRT which wasn't quite flat. Anyway, I did do it a number of times afterwards and every time I remembered how funny I thought it was the first time. So, to this day, it still cracks me up.

IMHO though, the only real value I see in it is saving paper. How much paper you save for a couple of test plots? Well, I guess your mileage may vary.

Yeah, but... Yeah, but.... Back in the day Adobe couldn't do it. Now it can, within a pixel width. I used to think it was hilarious too. Then, the Sheldon Coopers of the world have worked it out, and fixed it for us.

If you think that's funny, you should watch somebody try it on a touch screen.

It saves a lot of paper when the primary printer is a $129.85 Dell 8.5 x 11 only, and you have to print Poster and tape it together.

Anyway, to get a virtual "test print" to see if the fonts were readable, Adobe zoom actual size works pretty well.

Hint to the OP: For dimensions, anything bigger than 3/32" as measured in paperspace is fairly readable. 1/8" is ideal.