Creating Installation Drawings

indigo

Hi,

I was asked to create an installation/assembly drawing of a gear motor that will be installed on the side of a machine. I have some few references like the machine manual. I'm planning to trace the installation on the manual.This is my first time to create installation drawings and not quite sure if this is the way to go. I would like to ask the possible approach to create an installation drawing with just a manual as a reference..I have no information on dimensions of the parts..I would like to create something like this..

Thank You very much

motor.jpg

If it was up to me, I would build 3D models of the various pieces and then create the assembly drawing from the models. But having said that, you don't know the dimensions of the parts, so it's going to be a little difficult I think. :unsure:

I believe what you have pictured above is referred to as an exploded assembly drawing. I agree with Cad64's suggestion about doing it in 3D. If on the other hand you just trace out what you have there I'd suggest doing it as a 2D isometric. Have you ever done an isometric drawing in AutoCAD?

I have some few references like the machine manual..........I have no information on dimensions of the parts

Have you tried looking on the (gear motor) manufacturers website?

Most manufacturers will have dimensioned drawings of their products on their website.

If you are lucky then they will even have CAD files of their equipment for you to download.

Hi

@cad64 Thanks for the tips. Will try to find a way to get the dimensions

@Remark havent done isometric drawing..I'd like to know how to create detailed assembly drawings in 2D..Do I need to have all the orthograpic projections of each equipment...Do you think an installation drawing is more useful for this case..because we might install the motor on the side of a weaving machine..Sorry i'm confused about the difference of assembly and installation drawing..For the installation I just like to show up the zoom in portion where the motor is installed do you think this is the right way to go? Thanks

@nukecad Yes..had tried looking at the manufacturers website but unfortunately they don't have a 3D and 2D of the equipment.they only have datasheet for their equipment..Thanks

@Remark never done 2D detailed isometric drawings... I do electrical drawings most of the time and some cabinet layouts but this time I need to create an installation drawing for a motor...I have done some practice basic 3d modeling a long time ago and might need to refresh my memory and do more practice..do you have some installation drawings that I can use to practice..because I need to make installation drawings of a motor and load cell..and I'm not sure where to start

Thank you very much.

In my line of work there is not much call for exploded view drawings. I've maybe done a half dozen or so and none of them have been for motors.

The basis of every 3D drawing is still going to be 2D profiles for the most part.

Hi @remark thanks for the reference...are assembly and installation drawings the same?if it is okay I would also like to ask if you have installation drawings of motors and load cells. Thank you for sharing your time and wisdom to us

I've never heard the phrase "installation" drawing. I All I know is that my exploded assembly drawing looks very similar to the image you posted.

I do not have a similar drawing for a motor or a load cell but I don't see why you couldn't create one yourself.

I looked through my 3D drawings from outside vendors and found a drawing of a motor which I then disassembled into its individual parts to mimic an exploded view. The result is shown below.

3DExplodedViewMotor.jpg