Extrude polyline

Ubrigens

Trying to extrude a closed polyline to create solid.

Getting message stating cannot extrude self intersecting curve!!!!!

What is it and how do I locate and eradicate it.

Thank you

A self intersecting curve error means that your polyline is crossing over itself. You will need to zoom in close and inspect your polyline to find where the lines are intersecting.

Thank you.Tried and failed to find overlap by zooming.Is there a more technical way of locating the fault????

Tried breaking the polyline into it's component parts and can easily create an edge surface model!

A PDF is no good. We need an actual .DWG file to view and test. Try again.

Well? We haven't got all day. Either you want our help with this or you don't. Which is it?

Edited by ReMark

If you can't find any intersecting geometry, maybe the problem is overlapping lines. Try running the OVERKILL command.

A few other things you can try:

BPOLY command will create a new closed polyline when you click inside your current polyline shape. You should then be able to delete the old geometry and extrude the new clean polyline shape.

PRESSPULL command is another way to Extrude and does not require a closed polyline. I would Explode the Polyline and then run Presspull.

If none of these suggestions solve the problem, attach your drawing file for us to check.

Thank you to both for your help.

Using BPOLY worked,not tried Presspull yet,just hoping my luck holds.

I am not sure on the procedure for attaching a DWG part drawing to this type of document---but appreciate the offer!

Thanks a lot!

Thank you so much for your previous assistance---can I trouble you again?????

Created my solids using BPOLY and extrude,but now I am unable to rotate as the rotate gizmo has vanished;when 3Drotate is selected I seem to access 2D rotate only

:have read most of the threads on gizmo,and tried numerous unsuccessful options

Any suggestions ,please

Edited by Ubrigens
Idiocy

No luck I'm afraid---tried all the visual alternatives and still get only an apparent 2D rotation!!!!!

Never had this problem before---are we sure it's not associated with BPOLY command????

I'm in 3D modelling workspace.

I am 100% positive it has nothing to do with the BPOLY command. The ability to see the gizmo has nothing to do with any commands you use to create geometry. In fact, you can even use the 3DRotate command on 2D linework.

Check your GTAUTO system variable and make sure it is set to 1.

Also, I have to ask, you're not trying to use the 3DRotate command while viewing the model from a front, top or side view are you? You're viewing your model from a perspective viewpoint but the gizmo is not appearing, correct?

GTAUTO set to 1---confirmed.

I am trying to work in a perspective view created using 3D orbit.

Out of interest-- what's the problem with Orthographic views???

You will have to ask the Autodesk programmers about the orthographic views. I don't have a definitive answer for that.

And as for your problem with the gizmo, I'm out of ideas. I don't know why it's not displaying. The only thing I can suggest is to WBLOCK your model out to a new drawing and see if the gizmo comes back. Maybe there is an error in your drawing file that is causing this problem. Or upload your drawing file here so we can take a look.

Thank you for all your help--sorry we can't reach a conclusion.

Did try recreating the model but no change.

Whilst idling around I did find that in 3D modelling and the SE isometric view with realistic visual style,that if I selected a solid,the MOVE gizmo appeared and selecting that gizmo then put me into the Subobject tab,thus allowing me to access the rotate gizmo!!!!!!

All this without selecting 3D rotate---shall probably take up knitting.