Delete layers of a linked DWG file

halam

Today I noticed some remarkable behavior. I linked a dwg in a structural framing with shared coordinats. This is what we do more often. I noticed that the delete layer button was still active. So I 'deleted' a couple of layers like defpoints. The result was that in the revit file these layers do not show up anymore and do not display. The really good part is that (of course) Revit doesn't do anything to the dwg file inselfs. It still can be updated and in defpoints in dwg still exists. This is a good way to effectively select layers in revit (viewports) you need and can do without. Is anyone familiar with this behavior? Would AutoDesk Revit intend to change the dwg file ? Maybe the button just had to be grayed out..?

DWG links are not a two way street. Revit pulls the data once until it needs to reload. In fact, once loaded Revit doesn't need the file anymore to show the graphics.

Why would you expect the button to be grayed out?

Thank you but I'm feeling dumb. I do not understand. I'm trying to make sure I do understand.

In your first post, you said that you deleted layers. Then later you said that they can't be deleted.

I made a little youtube video to demonstrate how deleting layers in a linked can be used

You probably get a better picture. I think 'deleting layers' comes in handy if you have only 3D DWG data from other parties you want to use.

The thing i would also would be able to do is to copy a link and re-assign the path and filename. Like in AutoCAD. So using Revit there is no to have do the routine over and over again.. link DWG, import DWG, create family, link same DWG inside family for section ability, close family delete delete inserted DWG etc. to do over and over again.. (would same time)

parts.dwg => in 1 family becoming

part1.dwg

part2.dwg

copies and seperated..

If only this duplicate options wasn't greyed out.. :sad:

Any idea's on that?

Revit_2016-01-22_10-17-49.png

I still don't understand what your question is about deleting layers. First you say you can delete them. Then you say you can't. Now your back to saying that you can.

Why did you start another topic in this thread about deleting layers?

I guess it is more of an observation than it is a question in the first place.

Nevermind Rob. I you have anything to contribute, please do.

I've been contributing but you are not being very clear. Why are you asking me to do so?

My first post was about layer deleting and you responded that you can't delete layers. Maybe if you could keeps you facts straight and stay on subject this thread could actually share some valuable information for someone else.

Thats exactly right. The button says 'delete layer' but in dwg This layers exists and if you rename reload it all data is back in Revit. Whats deleted? I really do not understand this question is so hard to understand..

I understood the question and answered it in my first response. Everything after that didn't make sense because you weren't using enough words.

Your first reaction is the idea that deleting indeed cannot be the case because rvt and dwg are very different. My question is not answered (but I wasn't really suspecting of a correct answer anyway..) good for now?

If you understand what I said correctly, your "question" is answered. Maybe you are thinking that a link is like an XREF in AutoCAD. It is not. It is more like a DATALINK. It is not a "live" connection to the referenced file.

What was the question?

Interesting. Revit is using a other type of linking CAD files than plain AutoCAD. What would 'delete layer' than mean keeping in mind your datalink thought..?

Thought? I'm stating facts.

Let me say it again and explain a little more detail so you can understand. Revit does not need the .dwg file once it is loaded. If I receive a model with CAD links, I don't need the CAD file. The data is stored in the model. That is why layers can be deleted without affecting the linked file. The difference with AutoCAD is that data can be written back to the linked file. If Revit did that to a .dwg, it would create a mess of it.

Haven't you ever exported to .dwg? Revit does not do it well.

Understand?

Link CAD really isn't linking indeed

It is an import with the ability to update/refresh. Manually or at startup of the database.

But my point is Revit cannot delete anything from within Revit in this mode. It remains 'global hide' method (which I like, but maybe should not have been named 'delete'...)

But my point is Revit cannot delete anything from within Revit. It is just a 'hide' method (which I like, but maybe should be named 'delete'.)

What do you mean by this? It doesn't make sense.