Counter sunk holes using hole wizard

3Ddesiner1960

I am long time user of AutoCAD for 30 year and now witching over to Solidworks and converting old CAD file to Solidworks.

I have used hole wizard few times and still having troubles with it.

I having problems with hole wizard.

I am using mm and trying to get the countersunk and threads called out, but I have to create in hole wizard counter sunk hole then using hole wizard again and add threads. So I am using the hole call out twice?. what if I wanted it all in one call out and I don't want to manually typ it in.

In hole wizard not sure what to put in custom size without Call out giving me more info then what I want.

See sample.

TEST SAMPLE AUTOCAD COUNTERSUNK HOLE IN SOLIDWORKS.jpg

Edited by 3Ddesiner1960

I'll look into it when I get a chance but off hand I dont know if there is a thread option for a csink hole. You can however add a thread callout from the insert menu after you make the hole.

Also if you have sw 2016 there is a new thread tool that lets you cut physical threads as well as the callout. You can also insert the callout in a drawing after the fact.

I took a look at this. The best way to do this is to use the hole wizard for your Cbore hole, then Insert>Annotations>cosmetic thread. this will allow you to add a thread to the bore portion of the hole. Also if you pattern the hole wizard hole it will take the thread callout with it. If you have a non standard pattern you can create a sketch with sketch points for all the other locations(skip the "seed" location) and use a sketch based pattern. let me know if you need more clarification.

Thanks,

Forgot about cosmetic threads. They did go threw the cosmetic thread in once in 11 week college course.

Wish they had Solidworks 30 years ago. The College I went to "MTI" would have had Solidworks part of the course.

I am not sure about the "seed" location with sketch points?

We spent 4 -5 day in class and not on 1 day out of a week like you get in College. I am having to rely on and this web site and youtube . Thank god for that.

thanks again.

The seed feature is the original feature you want to pattern. Some Sw patterns can cut the seed for you but typically you are making a pattern of something. When you do a sketch based pattern using sketch points you dont want the location of the seed to be in your sketch containing the pattern points. With hole wizard you can uae its sketches for the seed reference in the feature. Variouse versions od SW have handled it differently but none allow you to skip the seed. This means if you pattern a body you end up with a copy over the original. Messes up BOMs and other things.

On my new site I have a free video for sketch patterns. You can "take this course" after registering for the site. Several others in the solidworks section are free as well.

https://www.solidbox.tv/course/solidworks-curve-and-sketch-driven-pattern/