Drawings being overwritten with other drawings...

lamensterms

Hey,

One of the users in our office is having a recurring issue, which is a little difficult to explain.

He is finding that when he opens a drawing (.DWG) the drawing contents are that of another drawing.

For example...

- For a job there is a 3D model file (.DWG), and also a set of 2D drawings (also .DWG).

- The model file is named Job_Number-3D.dwg

- The 2D drawings are named Job_Number-2D-1.dwg, Job_Number-2D-2.dwg, Job_Number-2D-3.dwg, etc.

- When he opens Job_Number-2D-1.dwg, he finds that it is actually the model file (but with the filename of the 2D).

I have no idea what is happening, but he is an experienced CAD user so I'm not expecting it to be an error of his.

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before or might know of a possible cause.

Ps: the drawings are stored on a LAN server, and we work on the drawings from the server.

Thanks for any help.

Does the undesired behavior happen when you, or other users open the same drawings?

Just this particular project, or all of them?

Does this user have Offline Files enabled (in any one of the four? Possible configurations)?

Have you tried to backup the problem user's Profile (export to ARG), then re-import your, or the office's deployment Profile?

If none of these are helpful in identifying the culprit, then you might consider escalating this to a repair install, or even a complete uninstall & reinstall, should it be needed.

HTH

Hi BB,

Thanks for the reply.

Q1. I haven't yet tested opening the affected file on my machine. Will report back when/if the issue happens again.

Q2. He says it only occurs on one project.

Q3. Not sure about his offline files settings, I'll check that out.

Q4. The profile he uses is the standard office profile. I use the same on on my machine.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get back to you when the error resurfaces and I can test a few things out.