New MEP User - Plumbing Design.

mechanix

Dear Friends,

Firstly, Hi all of you.

Im beginner level in Autocad Mep and i want to learn Plumbing design at first step thats why i searched and found some examples in youtube. But i can not dp what i exactly want.

1. I want to show my sewer pipe in 3D at drawing screen, not only 3d screen.

2. FYI my version is 2016

3. How can i find PVC pipe, fittings and settings.

4. I want to design a hotel room completely at first step my plumbing learning section.

5. Second step, i want to draw riser schematics of this hotel room.

If you help me, then i feel glad. Thank you for everything.

Start with Paul Aubin's mastering AMEP.

How much experience do you have with Vanilla AutoCAD? If it is not much, you may want to jump into Revit instead. You have a long road ahead of you, hate to have it longer than it needs to be (if you are going to switch anyway).

I still use AMEP. Haven't had a need to switch. All the contractors I coordinate with haven't switched yet either. If Revit had a compass when routing conduit, I would absolutely switch. I probably just need more time, but routing conduit in AMEP is like second nature. Building highly accurate, detailed to spec switch gear and equipment, very quickly is also a plus for me.

Hi Hertz, thank for your reply.

I wrote three times this reply to you but it erased:s

So,

1. I know this author and book but i cant find this. Can you help me about that? Otherwise i have to ask frequently i think:)

2. I have strong background and experience in vanilla ACAD and others (BricsCAD) almost at all versions. I am hvac&r - plumbing and fire systems design engineer and i have my own company. For many year i am designing and drawing varios kind of projects in ACAD and the others that i mention before.

For example yesterday, i started to design a hvac system in our sample otel project. I designed 3 floor at that night with almost complete detail (duct cut lenghts, grilles, louvers, flexible ducts, dampers, auto calculate duct sizing and etc.) In this section i just want to learn more deeply duct calculations capabilities and BOM list creationg from active floor plan.

3. As a founder/engineer, i just want to have capable of AMEP and Revit MEP using in our projects. But firstly only i want to learn AMEP. For a certain time im going to study with AMEP.

4. In plumbing design section, what i can do?

4.1 I can do placement of fixturex in plan with any hight (with UCS).

4.2 I can arrange fixture properties in its own dialog box.

4.3 I can use the pipes in PIPING section (commercial pipe) to show 3D pipe visualisation but its not the well known PVC pipes. I can give slope to pipes.

But,

4.4 When i use default sewer pipeline drawings and when i connect to pipe to connectors of fixtures, in floor plans everything seems ok but when i switch 3D there is no connection and pipe and fixture stays different UCS levels.

I just want to design simple hotel room and create riser schematics.

And after that i want to use autosize with fixture load units and using LU tables for my country.

Thank you for all.

One thing I noticed about posting on this site, always copy the text before hitting the submit button. I guess I just type too slow. By the time I hit submit I am already signed out due to being inactive.

I always run conduit with the screen sectioned into three model space view ports. On plan, one isometric and one in front or side. This way you can see how everything is connecting.

I am not a plumbing guy, and never try it gor fun. I think they have a routing preference that only creates 2D pipe. I hope that is not what is happening. Also there is s toggle at the bottom right, that if turned on will ignore the Z height. So if you are snapping to a plumbing connector it may look like it is connecting but it will ignor the Z height. The toggle is very helpful in some cases and not in others. I am always toggling it on and off. That may be what is happening if you are working in plan view. It is the equivalent of using point filters for the Z elevation.

Let me know if this helps.

Im using windows splitting now in both hvac and plumbing side. Both of this really nice works.

But i did not solve yet my connection problem. I tried your suggest about "s toggle" i guess i found but my problem is still continue.

I will explain more clearly with some pics.

And, yeah i did a little research i can not draw 3D sanitary pipe with default plumbing specialities but if you want you can use PIPING section and you can draw 3D pipe in plumbing.

I know you are electirican:) thank you again.

But i want to ask again whole site, while we use normal Piping procedures except Plumbing procedures, can we do plumbing load calculations? If not, im afraid of using of piping sections just for 3D visulatizaton:s

If we want complete plumbing design, flow rate, pipe sizing and etc should we use default AMEP Plumbing section?

Can anyone send me Paul Augbin's book?

3YnW6O.jpg Pic 1

Rol8rG.jpg Pic 2

kny797.jpg Pic 3

Pic 1 show, the right connector is selected.

Pic 2 show, if the connection seems right but in the right window there is a unconnection?

Pic 3 shows the toggle that you suggest, is it right?

Edited by mechanix

2. I have strong background and experience in vanilla ACAD and others (BricsCAD) almost at all versions. I am hvac&r - plumbing and fire systems design engineer and i have my own company. For many year i am designing and drawing varios kind of projects in ACAD and the others that i mention before.

For example yesterday, i started to design a hvac system in our sample otel project. I designed 3 floor at that night with almost complete detail (duct cut lenghts, grilles, louvers, flexible ducts, dampers, auto calculate duct sizing and etc.) In this section i just want to learn more deeply duct calculations capabilities and BOM list creationg from active floor plan.

3. As a founder/engineer, i just want to have capable of AMEP and Revit MEP using in our projects. But firstly only i want to learn AMEP. For a certain time im going to study with AMEP.

Based on #2 and #3, as already mentioned I would highly suggest not going down the AutoCAD MEP road. It wouldn't be a complete waste, but almost. It would be in your absolute best interest to simply jump right into Revit, especially since you're an engineer.

One thing I noticed about posting on this site, always copy the text before hitting the submit button. I guess I just type too slow. By the time I hit submit I am already signed out due to being inactive.

I always run conduit with the screen sectioned into three model space view ports. On plan, one isometric and one in front or side. This way you can see how everything is connecting.

I am not a plumbing guy, and never try it gor fun. I think they have a routing preference that only creates 2D pipe. I hope that is not what is happening. Also there is s toggle at the bottom right, that if turned on will ignore the Z height. So if you are snapping to a plumbing connector it may look like it is connecting but it will ignor the Z height. The toggle is very helpful in some cases and not in others. I am always toggling it on and off. That may be what is happening if you are working in plan view. It is the equivalent of using point filters for the Z elevation.

Let me know if this helps.

Hi Hertz,

I tried your suggestion but unfortunately still i cant do it. I want to put some secrenshots here to show this but i cant:)

anyway, about 2d/3d plumbing piping problem, i read some topics and i learnt unfornutaly it is impossible in default plumbing workspace it is only possible piping workspace and i think in this section i can not use fixture load tables. Because of this, 3D plumbing piping is just visulation!:s

now this problem is solved clearly.

Thank you for your effort.

Based on #2 and #3, as already mentioned I would highly suggest not going down the AutoCAD MEP road. It wouldn't be a complete waste, but almost. It would be in your absolute best interest to simply jump right into Revit, especially since you're an engineer.

Hi Tannar,

I guess and I know you are definitely right. But for some other situations such as 2d autocad (dwg based plans) arch. drawings, still i want to use AMEP, since as know as i am revit cant do it, i must use AMEP in mechanical drawings.

Finally, Im considering Revit MEP is now my priority and AMEP can be stay in second plan.

What do you suggest about learning RMEP? Any pdf book or video is there?

By the way, still im asking to everyone about Paul Aubin's Mastering AMEP pdf.

Finally, Im considering Revit MEP is now my priority and AMEP can be stay in second plan.
Honestly, don't even bother with AMEP. Either 2D AutoCAD or Revit.

What do you suggest about learning RMEP? Any pdf book or video is there?
Contact your reseller. What country are you in? Do you have resellers in your country? If not you can find Revit books online, such as Amazon.com. For example, here: http://amzn.com/1118871154

By the way, still im asking to everyone about Paul Aubin's Mastering AMEP pdf.
Buy here: http://amzn.com/1439057664

Thank you.

I found RMEP book as a pdf and the other is not. And the other book is in an university library, i found it too.

My last decision is Revit MEP actually.

In here there are so many reseller but i dont want to spend money for learning phase.

If i reach any reseller, they immediately want to sell a product normally:) but i do not want to..

After i finished enough learning process, then i can contact and reseller. In our country there is not any reseller to support you correctly.

They only want to gain money rapidly.

I did what tanner mentioned before. Download the trial version of Revit. After the 30 days are up you can still use it to learn, you just can't save or print. The books you buy will come with chapter files so you can always jump in at any chapter or mid chapter. If you don't shut off your computer you can go days picking up where you left off. Even if you have to go back a little, you will get better.

Thank you Hertz,

Now i downloaded educational version and im working on it now.

By the way, my principal post now has been approved by moderation with pics, now i see:)