Need help with understanding scales and what affects them!

KittonMittons

I am pretty decent with AutoCAD but not when it comes to scales. I need help with the process of choosing and adjusting scales according to different factors. Here is my current example:

I want a 1/4 scale plot of my drawing. I set up a layout, set the viewport to 3"=1'-0" and drew a quick bar scale (set in the title block part of the layout).

When I plot this to 24x36 paper, will my graphic scale still be accurate? I found the dynamic scale in the design center, but it doesn't have arch scales. Do any of you have a cheat sheet that includes paper sizes? Maybe a calculator for scales? Am I missing something(s)?

I have access to machines with AutoCAD 2012 and AutoCAD 2015.

Any help you can give me is appreciated!

When you plot from a layout the scale is 1:1 however, your viewport(s) can have any scale you choose as long as the viewport physically fits on the paper you'll be plotting to. In your case the viewport should have been assigned the scale of 1/4"=1'-0" not 3"=1'-0" after which the viewport display should have been locked to avoid it being accidentally changed as you pop in and out of model space.

You do not need a calculator for scales as all the normally recognized (imperial) architectural scales are available via the scalelist.

In your case the viewport should have been assigned the scale of 1/4"=1'-0" not 3"=1'-0"

The OP did not specify that this was an architectural scale. 1/4 scale is indeed 3"=1'-0". It could be for a part. Maybe that is exactly what they want.

Maybe he is confusing scale with scale factors. Here's a list of actual scale factors for the most commonly used architectural scales. Note that if you want to use scale factors and avoid using the scalelist then you'll have to use the ZOOM command with the SCALE option.

ImperialScaleFactors.JPG

Edited by ReMark

"It could be for a part."

I might almost agree with this had you used the word "detail" instead of "part". Maybe because I think of mechanical type drawings when the word part is used. But the OP specifically mentions architectural scales so I'm not thinking "part". I could be wrong.

Kitton: Can you attach a copy of the drawing, or what you have done thus far, to your next post? It would be most helpful and better than an image file. Thanks.

I will attach a copy when I get back to my machine, but for now here is a more simplified version of my question:

I have a graphical scale on my drawing that says 3"=1'0". When I plot the drawing to 24x36, that scale is going to be accurate to use. When I plot to anything else, say 11x17 or something, that scale is not going to be usable. How do you guys make sure that it is accurate on these other paper sizes?

I have a graphical scale on my drawing that says 3"=1'0". When I plot the drawing to 24x36, that scale is going to be accurate to use. When I plot to anything else, say 11x17 or something, that scale is not going to be usable. How do you guys make sure that it is accurate on these other paper sizes?

If you are just talking about reduced size prints and you are not worried about proper text heights, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Drawings shouldn't be used for measuring. There should be enough information on them to build the product. That being said. The graphical scale would be usable, if it didn't say 3". Without the 3", it would only be a graphical indication of 1'-0".

If these are to be proper documents, not reductions, I would set up additional title blocks and take into consideration that text heights and symbols would have to increase in size.

If you need to use a different paper size then you need to either rotate your drawing to fit on your paper so it will fit or change your scale so that your drawing fits. Remember you draw full size in model space and then scale your drawing to fit your paper space. When you print from paper space your printing at 1:1. I have templates that I set up that uses different size sheets. So what I did was I drew my paper sizes in model space then scaled them up using the scale table that was posted here. This way I can see if the drawing will fit on my sheet for the scale I need to use. I know a lot of work but after I got everything set up it works great for me.

Ahem. Cough Cough. Back to post #1. 1/4 scale is 25% and is 3" = 1'-0", just like 1/2 scale is 50%, and is 6" - 1'-0", and full scale is 100%, and is 1'-0" = 1'-0".