Help! losing xref layer control when exporting dwg

Elisabeth83

Hoping anyone can help:?

My colleagues seem to be having a problem retaining layer management when binding xrefs and exporting dwg ( I don't have this issue but am pretty sure they are not just saying that to make me do all the export work!!)

Basically we have a base plan (ie proposed plan) which we xref into all our other drawings (ceiling/builderswork etc) so if anything changes in our main plan then it is minimal work to update the drawing pack. When we have to send out drawings in dwg then we use the aectoacad command and bind the xref to the plan.

Everyone (minus me:() had a new computer and upgraded to 2016 ( I had already upgraded so we are all on 2016) and since then layer management has not been retained. we have checked visretain and everyone has it set to 1. As I said I don't seem to have an issue and can't work out what settings I have that they don't :x

Help!!

Could it be bind vs. insert?

If you insert (which removes the file reference from the name) and those layers are in the drawing beforehand, they won't retain the setting from the XREF and instead take on the settings in the base file.

Could it be bind vs. insert?

If you insert (which removes the file reference from the name) and those layers are in the drawing beforehand, they won't retain the setting from the XREF and instead take on the settings in the base file.

That sounds like you nailed it, to me, Rob. :beer:

I'm not sure? when exporting we type - aectoacad - bind - file name. It works for me fine so I was wondering if maybe there was a setting that I had but my colleagues did not?!:unsure:

In that command, verify you are using the same "bind Type". If there is any chance that you have layers by with the same name in both the XREF and the referencing file, make sure to use the "Bind" option. I think the default is "Insert". So, if your machine is set to "Bind", the others probably need to be the same.

On a side note: it's easy to get tunnel vision when it comes to the command line. Take an extra second, or four, to look at the options other than the one you are needing and you will become more aware of what options are available. Even old commands get new options from time to time.

Thanks, I asked the others, and they were telling me that bind type was set to bind not insert - they lied!!! So all sorted now Thanks again:D