how to draw different plans

cadartista

is it best to draw everything in model space like site plan , landscape plan, elevations, architectural plans plumbning ,electrical plans etc in one drawing for one project?????? or should i make new drawings everytime!!!! help i am in model space and finished my site plans but dont know if i should open a new drawing to draw my elevations and so on ? help

Personally I would create a separate drawing for each discipline so the site plan and landscaping plan would be in the civil drawing and the floor plan and elevations would be in the architectural drawing. As for the plumbing and electrical plans you could do those separately and xref in the floor plan.

Keep in mind site plans would normally be depicted at an engineering scale (ex. - 1"=40') while architectural plans would be depicted at an architectural scale (ex. - 1/4"=1'-0"). The scale used for details will vary.

Are you going to also have a foundation plan, roof plan and a sheet for details?

I would advise against putting everything in one drawing as things could get messy when it comes to all the different layers each discipline would require. You are planning on using layers to make your drawings easier to work with right?

Yes, draw everything in model space at FULL size. Do NOT draw "to scale" as one would do manually on a drafting board. Make use of paper space layouts and their attendant viewports.

Personally I would create a separate drawing for each discipline so the site plan and landscaping plan would be in the civil drawing and the floor plan and elevations would be in the architectural drawing. As for the plumbing and electrical plans you could do those separately and xref in the floor plan.

Keep in mind site plans would normally be depicted at an engineering scale (ex. - 1"=40') while architectural plans would be depicted at an architectural scale (ex. - 1/4"=1'-0"). The scale used for details will vary.

Are you going to also have a foundation plan, roof plan and a sheet for details?

I would advise against putting everything in one drawing as things could get messy when it comes to all the different layers each discipline would require. You are planning on using layers to make your drawings easier to work with right?

Yes, draw everything in model space at FULL size. Do NOT draw "to scale" as one would do manually on a drafting board. Make use of paper space layouts and their attendant viewports.

In the red -- dog gone good advise. I just tried putting a stand together, different parts in different layers (top, legs, etc.) thinking i could put it all together noooo what a mess Will start over again and do it different this time.

Actually Welldriller the method you used should have worked. As a matter of fact I am designing a slanted walkway with handrails, support post, two ladders, a platform, grating, miscellaneous connectors, and grip strut along with all supporting steel in one drawing which now has a total of 20 different layers (each its own unique color). The OP is talking about something entirely different as he is trying to mix an engineering drawing with an architectural drawing which I just wouldn't advise doing. But I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff so if that is what he wants to do then more power to him. He just better buy the biggest bottle of Advil that's sold.

It's logistically overwhelming for the all but the most seasoned drafters. With careful planning, an entire building and all of its systems can be in one model. In fact, having everything in one place helps ensure coordination between trades. Careful planning and good drafting is absolutely necessary but it is amazing when done properly.

Details, schedules, riser diagrams, etc. should be in their own separate files no matter what approach you take.

Yes it would aid co-ordination between trades, but it would make amendments a nightmare (you'd have to wait for your civils work to be done before your landscape architect could do any work, and your M&E designer would have to wait for both of those).

If each trade has their own file these can then be xrefed together for co-ordination while allowing simultaneous working.

In an ideal world you'd get everybody to work with xrefs set to OVERLAY so that they only issue out they're own base drawing to ease management; but if you manage that please tell me how because it seems to be a hard concept for people to get their heads round!!

dJE

If each trade has their own file these can then be xrefed together for co-ordination while allowing simultaneous working.

In an ideal world you'd get everybody to work with xrefs set to OVERLAY so that they only issue out they're own base drawing to ease management; but if you manage that please tell me how because it seems to be a hard concept for people to get their heads round!!

That is the way our office works.