Steel Corrosion Hatch

dweimerskirk

I'm working on a design for repair of a corroded steel member. I need to produce an existing condition sheet as well as other sheets for the repair that show approximate areas of steel that are corroded. I the steel drawn, but cannot find a hatch pattern that looks right for the corrosion. Is there a hatch for corroded steel that I can use? And if so, is there an industry norm for color of the hatch? Thanks.

• 5 years later...

Hello there! My question is is there any tutorial for working in autocad to learn how to do anticorrosion (protection) engineering, puting those texts and annotations, colors to previously made objects?

a trick I use is to skew the hatch at an interesting angle then use a wavy spline as a guard to fill the hatch then delete the spline.  You get a sense of randomness out of it.

And you can also put in various closed splines of wierd shapes and fill those to give more of a speckled overall appearance to the hatch.  You can also put the hatches in at different scales and angles for additional randomness.

Edited by ammobake

You can also stack two or more hatch patterns to increase density without scaling the patterns stupid small.  And of course each hatch can have a different scale, angle and different line weight along with different transparency factors.  Oh, and selection cycling is your friend.  AND if you are using pick-a-space (my name for it), instead of selecting a boundary object, create each hatch on a random separate layer temporarily or not, so you can turn each hatch on and off as needed. There are no limits except the deadline.