View Issues

Behemothrex

Hey Guys,

Doing some Revit stuff again, and its not my forte, I have used the program enough to be dangerous but I don't know enough to find the setting I need to solve this problem.

I am working on a two story building, and I am putting in the support columns and beams. I put in the columns but when I try and add beams to the second floor I get a warning message that they cannot be seen, and in fact they do not show up.

Here is the exact warning message.

"None of the created elements are visible in Structural Plan: Level 2 - Structural Framing Plan View. You may want to check the active view, its Parameters, and I am using templates for each structural view, and I have not changed anyVisibility settings, as well as any Plan Regions and their settings"

I am using templates for each structural level, but I have made no changes to the templates other than hiding the doors. I can put beams on the first floor but not the second, so thinking its a cutting plan/view issue but again not very versed in Revit.

I also added a grid, not sure if grids have cutting planes but didn't change any of the grid settings when I created it.

I have messed about with the template and cannot get it to work, emailed my Instructor but he has yet to respond, so thought I would come straight to the wizards and see what you have to say.

I am attaching the file below.

Thanks for your help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0mnqrtvz57pshz/Exercise%207.rvt?dl=0

Rob posted one of the holy grail documents for Revit newcomers. Print it, keep it by your desk within arms reach.

Another tip is to always go to a Default 3D View. By "Default 3D View", I mean clicking the 3D House icon which auto-creates a brand new unfettered 3D View which automatically shows all 3D elements. It's good to know where your objects are in 3D, or if they're even there at all. This is the first step IMHO for Revit newcomers. I've been using Revit for so long, I know what the issue is right away when an error alerts me directly after I place a model element so I rarely have to look at a 3D View, but on occasion it's the saving grace.

-TZ

Hey Rob and Tz,

Thanks for the responses, I have seen that list in my search for answers. The problem is I have no idea what half of it means and/or where to find the settings the list talks about. This is only my second class in Revit and being such a complex program we are not really delving into much beyond the very basics. It talks about views in the book, about cutting planes and about how it can cause this very problem, but it does not expect you to run into that problem so it does not elaborate.

My instructor is stymied as well and is shipping it out to other Revit users to see if they can figure it out.

I tried going into the default 3D view and I can see the columns, but not the beams. I placed a beam, it gave me the warning, I went to 3D view and no beam. My instructor just wanted me to continue placing beams but if they are not actually being placed, then that kind of defeats the purpose.

I did notice in 3D view that the roof line appears to be on the same plane as the top of the columns so maybe that is an issue, I will mess around a bit more with it.

Thanks for the suggestions I will let you know if I figure it out.

The problem is I have no idea what half of it means and/or where to find the settings the list talks about.
Yeah, this is a problem, and it's completely understandable. However, the problem is due to lack of knowledge. This list, and digging through each of the items, will greatly help you gain the necessary knowledge in Revit. That's why it's so important. If you don't know where to begin, go down the list, from top to bottom. Eventually, all the little pieces will click in your brain, and all cylinders will start firing cohesively as you continue to use the program. :)

I tried going into the default 3D view and I can see the columns, but not the beams. I placed a beam, it gave me the warning, I went to 3D view and no beam. My instructor just wanted me to continue placing beams but if they are not actually being placed, then that kind of defeats the purpose.
The instructor is taking money and not giving the value back. No good in my opinion.

It could be a number of things. Gotta dig through each of the itemized list to find it.

*EDIT*

If you want, throw up a link for me to download the file and I'll check it out for you and reply back.

Thanks TZ,

Tons of gold in that video learned bunches of great tips, especially the 60 percent opacity 3D view!

Also did a bit of rereading of my book and found out they didn't want you to actually use templates, they just ran through setting one up to so you could ignore it, so editing the view range was much easier when doing it like you showed in the video. For some reason with templates I did not get the same options. The book is very confusing. So I was able to get the beams to show thankfully, so I can proceed with my project. Have to say in general this text book is crap, LOL, maybe they expect you to know more than I do.

Thanks again! and I will let me instructor know :lol:

Well, I'm beyond "tutorials" so while running through instruction is beneficial, I'm going to give you a real-world approach. Understandable though.

Instructions and step-by-steps are necessary, but I always found that looking over an experienced individual's shoulder, seeing how he/she does things, always gave me much more intuition and confidence in moving forward with a particular method.

It was fun creating the tutorial. I like having chances to explain things "my way" when convenient. I also like seeing the light come on for newcomers to Revit. It's such a powerful program, but it's so hard for AutoCAD backgrounds to muscle their way through the fundamentals. When someone's spent years being productive on another CAD program, jumping into a new program with all these grand claims and promises is quite humbling, really. That's why I think "seeing" other people's workflow who has experience really helps during these beginning and instructional times.

:)

-TZ