What are these crazy lines?

he1ios

Can anyone tell me what these crazy lines are which magically appeared in my drawing? I've tried to REGEN and REDRAW as well as deleting them but I cannot even select them. They will disappear when I print to PDF or if I look at my drawing in a Layout view but will return if I toggle that Layout to MODEL and try to pivot the drawing. It looks like my drawing is launching into outer space!

Any Ideas?

Bill

I'm using AC2013 full on a new mac pro running bootcamp and its a pretty darn fast setup.

crazy lines.png

As an aside it may be worth mentioning that I'm also having trouble dimensioning in the Z direction while using AUTOCAD CLASSIC workspace but not in 3D MODELING workspace. Because of this I've been having to switch back and forth between the two. The 3D Modeling so I can dimension in the Z axis and AUTOCAD CLASSIC so I can draft using all of my favorite keyboard shortcuts.

Can you post a drawing that is doing this?

I would lean toward this being a graphics card/driver issue, what are the exact specifications for your computer? What OS are you running on bootcamp?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nla27g8jkdz740r/crazy%20lines.png?dl=0

Hi, Thanks for the replys I too am thinking this is caused by some graphics problem because I can reboot the computer and everything is fine and I can induce the problem by doing continuous orbit and just letting it spin for a minute.

My system is as follows;

Bootcamp Services 6.0.6133

Processor 2.4GHz, 12-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3

2x Graphics AMD FirePro D700 6144MB

Disc space used = 63GB, Free= 53.5GB

@ Shortcuts, Yeah 3D Modeling does shortcuts but for me they are doing different stuff than in Classic. Is there a way to change that?

crazy lines.png

Is hardware acceleration enabled?

I don't understand how a keyboard shortcut (same combination of keys) works differently in one workspace than another. Maybe I skipped class the day it was explained. Did you do some customization that we are not aware of? Can you give us an example of a keyboard shortcut that does one thing in workspace "A" and something entirely different in workspace "B"?

Yeah, I don't get it either. In Classic If I do I'll be doing a linear dimension and if I do the same keystrokes in 3D Modeling the ribbon toggles to the "OUTPUT" tab with all kinds of options which have nothing to do with linear dimensioning, AND the ribbon gets little buttons on them but still they have nothing to do with linear dimensioning. Also in that case nothing is inserted to the command line.

@ Hardware Acceleration, Yeah. Its on.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ellwvfhm051fmv8/20160219_102203.jpg?dl=0

20160219_102203 (1).jpg

Did you try disabling hardware acceleration to see if the lines go away (and don't return)? Worth a try.

I don't mean to give you a difficult time re: keyboard shortcuts. I barely use them and I tend to work in a 3D model workspace even when doing 2D work.

Not sure what you have customized as far as keyboard shortcuts, but if I recall Mac at times will still override with it's own shortcuts, I would attribute that problem to Mac and Bootcamp, I could be wrong though.

2.4Ghz processor may be pushing the limit considering you are also on bootcamp, but you might still improve with a different graphics card driver.

Hey Remark, That did it! I turned off the hardware accelerator and it runs so much smoother and I can't induce the lines! I also found an old thread you were on from a few years back which led me to do the Whipthread command. Didn't notice too much difference when I did that but I can see some improvement if I continuous orbit my most complex drawing and compare with and without Whipthread.

@ Graphics card driver, It's up to date.

I saw on Apple forums there were problems with those cards on Video Editing software. It is a shame you can't use hardware acceleration.

OS X 10.9.3 breaking Mac Pro graphics card compatibility with critical video editing apps.

It is unclear what exactly is causing the incompatibility problems (whether it be Apple’s hardware, 10.9.3, the applications, or the graphics cards), but one affected forum poster speculates that the issue revolves around the OpenGL and OpenCL drivers for the AMD chipsets. Other possibilities include that the incompatibly stems from Apple’s changes to how both Video RAM and external displays are handled.

You might post a thread to the Apple Forum for BootCamp on the keyboard shortcuts. https://discussions.apple.com/community/windows_software/boot_camp