LIKE button

jagwinn

I would enjoy a LIKE button to show approval when someone has a great comment.

John

My dear John, sorry to say,

we are here to learn something or share our knowledge with others, not for enjoying...

sorry once again...

we are here to learn something or share our knowledge with others, not for enjoying...

sorry once again...

I like great comments. I happen to enjoy learning and I enjoy this website. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it.

Sorry...

• Like 1

sorry once again...

Really, then I am done here.
  • Like 1

Having a button loses that personal touch, it's much nicer to see an original comment in a users own words. And I'm with RobDraw and Dana W on this one I really enjoy this site, there is something about CADTutor that sets it apart from the rest. So keep up the questions and the nice comments.

Really? You don't enjoy learning and sharing knowledge? For me, those things go hand in hand. I wouldn't come here every day if I didn't enjoy this place.

As far as a "Like" button is concerned, we had this discussion once before, but nothing ever came of it: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?76055-Like-button-and-other-helpful-stuff. I think the general consensus was that a "Like" button wasn't really something anyone wanted, but a "Thanks" button would be ok.

I like this idea. There's a "Like" button on some other forums I'm on and I believe they serve a great purpose.

Yeah, not to copy them, but augi has something similar.

augi-like.png

But what I'd really like to see streamlined is the image attachment process. Currently it involves a pop up window and no fewer than 8 clicks.

But what I'd really like to see streamlined is the image attachment process. Currently it involves a pop up window and no fewer than 8 clicks.
Oh my GOSH I know.... vBulletin is way behind on this technology.

Oh my GOSH I know.... vBulletin is way behind on this technology.

augi uses vBulletin and I just measured it. 5 clicks. (The Swamp = 4 clicks)

Drag+drop would be ideal, but any improvement would be welcomed.

In this thread http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?70127-What-would-you-like David mentioned moving away from vBulletin, but that was several years ago.
I love change and improvement so it would be a warm welcome to see something other than vBulletin. I would like the idea of "quick chat rooms" where discussions could happen live... some kind of module within a thread of some kind. And it would have indicators like "Cad64 is typing a message..." and have insta-sharing of files, where the chat room really acts as a portal between file sharing, not storing anything.

Just subtle things could make huge improvements overall.

The plan is still to move over to IPB and I'm currently making some preparations with a view to implementing this in the summer. The delay has largely been to do with the development of IPB4, which has been slow but it's now in a reasonably stable state and I feel more confident about the move. It will also bring us a lot of new functionality.

"quick chat rooms"

There is the ShoutBox available in vB, if it is turned on.

No file sharing though just an ongoing live discussion space.

A large problem we have had with this in the past on another forum is that newbies would tend to post their questions there rather than start a new thread; this meant that their questions got missed as they dissapeared up the discussion.

It's also harder to moderate a 'live' discussion and stop any abuse.

In the end we had to turn it off.

I suspect this would happen in any live chat space, hard to moderate unless someone is watching it 24/7, easier for a newbie to post there than to work out how to start a new thread.

• 3 years later...