Working with groups

Good day all. I'm struggling with something that i think should be rather simple. Currently i am using autocad 2014. While working on n drawing one create simple unnamed groups to make copying, etc. Easier. Now, when i want to copy some part of a drawing, or maybe complete drawing from another dwg. File into the file i am currently working on, all the groups made in the previous drawing are ungrouped in this drawing i have copied it into. Is there any method to copy a unnamed group from one dwg file to another and still maintain the group?

if you can copy the objects to clipboard then its probably possible. This is as far as I got

(vl-load-com)
(setq  doc (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object)) )
(setq mygroups (vla-get-groups doc))

Cannot be done. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Group-object-gets-ungrouped-when-copied-between-drawings.html

Workaround I've added the macro: Paste as Group to the Ribbon so I can select a group in one drawing copy it to the clipboard and Paste it as a Group in another drawing. See link:

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?91042-copy-and-keep-grouped-objects-to-new-dwg&p=625603&viewfull=1#post625603

TOMBU, thanx. after considering the pros and cons, I am convinced it is better to work with blocks rather than groups. I will check out this links you have attached. I am sure I will learn something from that.

your help is much appreciated

O.K. I HAVE JUST CHECKED THAT OUT.

It is as designed. A group object is valid only in the drawing in which it was created, and needs to be recreated when copied to another drawing.

THIS, FROM THE AUTOCAD SITE, SHOWS THE GROUPS ARE SUPPOSED TO EXPLODE, WHEN COPYING FROM ONS DWG TO ANOTHER. I THINK, THE SIMPLEST WAY TO WORK AROUND THIS, IS WHEN YOU KNOE YOU WILL WANT SOMETHING TO STAY GROUPED (BLOCKED), RATHER MAKE IT A BLOCK FROM TE START.

Edited by jamos

TOMBU, thanx. after considering the pros and cons, I am convinced it is better to work with blocks rather than groups.

You're welcome! I use blocks much more often than groups, but neither can replace the other for certain tasks.