+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2005

Default Newbie Help Please - Install 2005 Autodesk (Last Used in 2008) on New Computer

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

1st, I am far from technically savvy so please forgive that from the start! I'm trying to help my husband (also T-challenged). He had an architectural mill work company that closed it's doors in 2009. In June of 2004 he purchased 2 - AutoCAD 2005 software packages (4 licenses at the tune of $10K) that were installed on 4 company computers by his IT guy. Those computers and the IT guy are long gone, but we still have the 2 software CD's, their serial numbers, original request codes, and activation codes. I want to buy another PC on which to run one of these software apps. (w/Windows XP or 2000 OS), but don't know if it's possible to do so.
    Please inform me if it's possible to get this software up and running again, and if so, what steps do I need to take to get it accomplished.
    Thanks for your patience and assistance with this T-challenged wife/office assistant!

Computer Details
    Cad64's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Profesional x64
    Computer:
    XI Computers
    Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    CPU:
    Intel Core I7 3770K 4.1 Ghz Quad Core 3rd Gen
    RAM:
    24GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    Graphics:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    SATAII 500GB 7200 RPM
    Secondary Storage:
    Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II - 2TB capacity
    Monitor:
    HPf2105 21" LCD Widescreen & Cintiq 21ux
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Cad64's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Freelance Digital Artist
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    3D model building, texturing and rendering. Photoshop Color Graphics.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Installing 2005 on a brand new computer, which I'm guessing would be running the Windows 10 operating system, might be a bit of a challenge. You may need the Longbow converter: http://www.longbowsoftware.com/Home_Page.php
    CGSociety Portfolio: http://rdeweese.cgsociety.org/
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/rdeweese67/

"Work Smart, Not Hard"

Computer Details
    Tyke's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 - 64 bit, W8 + W8.1 Vista
    Computer:
    HP Z400 Workstation
    CPU:
    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3530 @ 2.80GHz
    RAM:
    8 GB
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro 600 1GB DDR3
    Primary Storage:
    2x 500GB HDD RAID 1 and Western Digital 2TB NAS RAID 1
    Secondary Storage:
    Lacie external HDD 2TB Raid Level 1
    Monitor:
    Samsung SyncMaster P2770HD, 2443 and 193T
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Tyke's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Surveyor, programmer, civil engineer
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    Surveying and civil engineering. As built utilities surveys and data maintenance in GIS systems. Building surveys, measured and laser scanning. Setting out of all civil works. Control and settlement surveys. Programming in AutoCAD, MicroStation, Geograf and stand alone applications for all uses.
    Using
    Civil 3D 2014

The problem you have here is that the company that bought the licences no longer exists and technically you have no rights to install the software, regardless of it is technically possible. Also your company never owned the software they just bought a licence to use it and as they never owned it they could not pass it on to anybody else either at no cost or for a fee.

I can't remember if in AutoCAD 2005 you had to generate a request code that you sent off to Autodesk who then returned you an activation code, I have a feeling it was so. If this was the case then you have no chance of installing the software as the request code and activation codes were computer specific and could only be used on the computer that generated the request code. My company just changed its name and I had a hell of a job getting Autodesk to transfer the original licences to the new company name. At first they said I had no longer a right to use them and would be prosecuted if I did.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Autodesk are not very helpful in these cases.
    Engage brain before mouth

"The German who types with a Yorkshire accent" - Dave Broada 2o1o

Computer Details
    Cad64's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Profesional x64
    Computer:
    XI Computers
    Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    CPU:
    Intel Core I7 3770K 4.1 Ghz Quad Core 3rd Gen
    RAM:
    24GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    Graphics:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    SATAII 500GB 7200 RPM
    Secondary Storage:
    Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II - 2TB capacity
    Monitor:
    HPf2105 21" LCD Widescreen & Cintiq 21ux
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Cad64's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Freelance Digital Artist
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    3D model building, texturing and rendering. Photoshop Color Graphics.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Tyke, you are in Germany and I know licensing is a bit different in other parts of the world. I am no expert on Autodesk licensing, but I do know that here in the U.S. we are allowed to install the software on two computers, such as an office workstation and a laptop or a home computer as long as the program is not in use on both computers at the same time, so I don't think there would be any issue with installing the program on the new computer, unless for some reason the license shows up as being already in use with no seats available. Then a phone call to Autodesk would be necessary.

Skilled4u, was the software purchased through the company account or a personal account? If it was purchased through the company, you may need to contact Autodesk directly to find out what your rights are concerning the software.

If Autodesk won't be cooperative, there are alternatives to Autocad, like Draftsight which offers a free version or a pro version for a small cost. Also Bricscad is another good low cost alternative. These programs would be comparable to the latest version of Autocad and would be no trouble to install on the new computer.
    CGSociety Portfolio: http://rdeweese.cgsociety.org/
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/rdeweese67/

"Work Smart, Not Hard"

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Do you have a copy of Windows XP? You could easily find/buy a computer running XP on craigslist saving you the cost of a brand new computer and the hassle of dealing with Win10 and the additional expense of buying Longbow.

Will you be doing any 3D drawings?

I think the last version of AutoCAD that could be installed without getting an activation code via download from AutoDesk was 2004 (although it may have been 2005). All one needed to have was the serial number and authorization code that came on a little yellow sticker affixed to the CD case. Is this what you have
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    AutoCAD 2005

Cad64: Actually, I said I plan to buy a computer with the OS needed for AutoCAD 2005 (either Windows XP or 2000).

Using
    AutoCAD 2005

Tyke - thanks for the information.

Using
    AutoCAD 2005

Cad64: The software was purchased through the now closed company's name. I've sent a TechSupport message to AutoCAD re: this issue, but thought I'd go ahead and see what information all you technologically advanced folks had to contribute to my dilemma! Thanks for your input!

Using
    AutoCAD 2005

ReMark: As stated in my original post, I'm planning on buying a "new-to-me" PC that has either Windows XP or 2000 already installed, for use with my 2005 Autodesk. I am not knowledgeable regarding 3D drawings, and therefore haven't used that feature in the past.
    I have the original AutoCAD 2005 Registration Information sheet that was printed out with the original install which was completed in June of 2004 on computers that no longer exist. This document lists the Serial Number, Request code, and Activation Code, our original contact information, and all the Autodesk contact information. I don't see anything on this document called an "Authorization Code". However, on the back cover of the CD case is a label, with a peelable yellow sticker which lists the serial number and a CDkey which says "N/A", again, no "Authorization Code" listed. The main white label has a "Delivery:" number and a "PartNo:".

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Then it sounds like when you do install the software you'll be given the opportunity to obtain an activation code which is sent directly from AutoDesk. Any activation code used previously will not work this time around.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.