+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Using
    AutoCAD 2005

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

ReMark: Thanks for your input! I sure hope that's all it will take! I'm skiddish about going forward with purchasing a new-to-me PC with XP or 2000 installed, without knowing for sure that I'll be able to use this old version of AutoCAD!

Luminous Being
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

You do the registration on line and get back a serial code, I am pretty sure a 2005 version will get a question from Autodesk.

As has already been suggested have a look at the alternatives for around $500 US you have an up to date version of software running on current hardware like 64bit. Drafsight, Bricscad, Intellicad, karelcad to mention a few.

The other thing to consider is that Autocad can now be obtained on a month by month renatl and your guaranteed the latest version.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Using
    MEP 2017

I would skip trying to use 2005. It is no longer supported by AutoDesk. Any OS that will run it is not longer supported, so it would be inadvisable to connect it to the internet. I would go with one of the free or lower cost alternatives.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Using
    AutoCAD 2005

RobDraw, thanks for your input! Do the examples of drafting software that have been supplied to me, i.e. Drafsight, Bricscad, Intellicad, and karelcad, work the same as AutoCAD? I was trained on AutoCAD basics 10 years ago and haven't learned any other drafting programs/methods since then. Would I be able to easily transition from working with AutoCAD to one of these other programs? If yes, which one would be most like AutoCAD for me to draw with?

Computer Details
    Cad64's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Profesional x64
    Computer:
    XI Computers
    Motherboard:
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    CPU:
    Intel Core I7 3770K 4.1 Ghz Quad Core 3rd Gen
    RAM:
    24GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    Graphics:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    SATAII 500GB 7200 RPM
    Secondary Storage:
    Western Digital My Book Studio Edition II - 2TB capacity
    Monitor:
    HPf2105 21" LCD Widescreen & Cintiq 21ux
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Cad64's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Freelance Digital Artist
    Discipline
    Multi-disciplinary
    Details
    3D model building, texturing and rendering. Photoshop Color Graphics.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

The programs I mentioned, Draftsight and Bricscad, are identical to Autocad. In fact, they are typically referred to as Autocad clones. Draftsight has a free version, but it's more like Autocad LT. It has no 3D and you can't run lisp routines. They do have a Pro version, but I have not tried it out.

If I had to stop using Autocad, I would go with Bricscad. They have a trial version. You should download it and give it a try.
    CGSociety Portfolio: http://rdeweese.cgsociety.org/
    Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/rdeweese67/

"Work Smart, Not Hard"

Computer Details
    ReMark's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Computer:
    Thinkmate
    Motherboard:
    Intel DX58SO2 LGA1366 X58
    CPU:
    Intel i7-960 Quad-core 3.20GHz 8MB cache
    RAM:
    12GB (3x4GB) PC3-106000 DDR3
    Graphics:
    nVidia Quadro K4200, 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage:
    150GB Velocipraptor 10,000 rpm
    Secondary Storage:
    none
    Monitor:
    Dell P24LLH - 24" wide screen LCD
    Discipline
    See details...
    ReMark's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    CAD Draftsman/Designer...chemical manufacturing.
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    I work for a specialty chemical manufacturer. I do a little bit of everything from P&IDs to civil to architectural and structural.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

I'm not sure I would use the term "identical" as some command names may vary from what you are used to with AutoCAD. Draftsight users may also download, for free, the 199 page "Getting Started Guide" in PDF format from the Dassault Systemes website. Draftsight is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions so you could buy a brand new (i.e. - fully up-to-date) computer and have no problem running the program. Yes, there is that downside re: no lisp. I think you already mentioned that your line of work did not require 3D.

If I were to go with one of the low-cost AutoCAD clones it would be Bricscad as it has a very good reputation. There are three versions (Classic, Pro & Platinum) ranging in price from $550 to $1020 U.S. All three support the use of lisp. The classic version is primarily 2D. The Pro version gets you 3D. Click on the link below to see a comparison of Bricscad and AutoCAD.

https://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/editions/
    Last edited by ReMark; 23rd Feb 2016 at 12:57 pm.
    "I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college." The Police

Eat brains...gain more knowledge!

I'm now a full member of the Society for the Promotion of Mediocrity in CAD. Standards? We don't need no stinkin' standards! Take whatever advice I offer and do the opposite.

Using
    MEP 2017

Quote Originally Posted by skilled4u View Post
    Would I be able to easily transition from working with AutoCAD to one of these other programs? If yes, which one would be most like AutoCAD for me to draw with?
    I guess that would depend on how you use CAD. The best way to find out is to get a free trial and try them out. At 30 days each, that's a lot of free CAD.

Personally, for 2D I would go with the free version of Draftsight.
    Drafting is a breeze.

Discipline
    See details...
    TheCADnoob's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Drafter
    Discipline
    See details below.
    Details
    Got a degree in rocket surgery that I cant use so I'm doing CAD work. I literally have my hands on all disciplines and am loving every minute of it, unfortunately by not specializing I believe I have found the Zen Noob. Jack of all master of none.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2013

if you are looking to work professionally with the programs make sure you read the fine print. There are some "free" programs which charge for commercial use of their program.
    IT - "I would be glad to help you, but first I need you to make sure you computer is plugged in."
    CADnoob - "I'm Not that dumb"
    IT - "I'm sure you are not, but could you just humor me?"
    CADnoob - "Ok Ok... let see.. Crap! Never mind, thanks for your help."

Using
    AutoCAD 2005

Cad64: Awesome news for me - thank you much for all your help!

Using
    AutoCAD 2005

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

ReMark: Thanks again. I must say I'm not thrilled about a 199 pg. guide document that only "gets me started"! I just don't have the time to learn a completely new software system, thus I'm looking for something that pretty much mimics AutoCAD 2005! I could, however, deal with it if it's only a matter of some command name differences.
    Another important factor for me is whether or not the company has excellent English speaking customer service, and how long they support their product. Do you know that information about Draftsight and Bricscad?
    Thanks much for all your help. I will definitely check into both products -- thanks for the easy link info!