Newbie Help Please - Install 2005 Autodesk (Last Used in 2008) on New Computer

skilled4u

1st, I am far from technically savvy so please forgive that from the start! I'm trying to help my husband (also T-challenged). He had an architectural mill work company that closed it's doors in 2009. In June of 2004 he purchased 2 - AutoCAD 2005 software packages (4 licenses at the tune of $10K) that were installed on 4 company computers by his IT guy. Those computers and the IT guy are long gone, but we still have the 2 software CD's, their serial numbers, original request codes, and activation codes. I want to buy another PC on which to run one of these software apps. (w/Windows XP or 2000 OS), but don't know if it's possible to do so.

Please inform me if it's possible to get this software up and running again, and if so, what steps do I need to take to get it accomplished.

Thanks for your patience and assistance with this T-challenged wife/office assistant!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skilled4u

• ReMark

• Cad64

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem you have here is that the company that bought the licences no longer exists and technically you have no rights to install the software, regardless of it is technically possible. Also your company never owned the software they just bought a licence to use it and as they never owned it they could not pass it on to anybody else either at no cost or for a fee.

I can't remember if in AutoCAD 2005 you had to generate a request code that you sent off to Autodesk who then returned you an activation code, I have a feeling it was so. If this was the case then you have no chance of installing the software as the request code and activation codes were computer specific and could only be used on the computer that generated the request code. My company just changed its name and I had a hell of a job getting Autodesk to transfer the original licences to the new company name. At first they said I had no longer a right to use them and would be prosecuted if I did.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Autodesk are not very helpful in these cases.

Tyke, you are in Germany and I know licensing is a bit different in other parts of the world. I am no expert on Autodesk licensing, but I do know that here in the U.S. we are allowed to install the software on two computers, such as an office workstation and a laptop or a home computer as long as the program is not in use on both computers at the same time, so I don't think there would be any issue with installing the program on the new computer, unless for some reason the license shows up as being already in use with no seats available. Then a phone call to Autodesk would be necessary.

Skilled4u, was the software purchased through the company account or a personal account? If it was purchased through the company, you may need to contact Autodesk directly to find out what your rights are concerning the software.

If Autodesk won't be cooperative, there are alternatives to Autocad, like Draftsight which offers a free version or a pro version for a small cost. Also Bricscad is another good low cost alternative. These programs would be comparable to the latest version of Autocad and would be no trouble to install on the new computer.

Do you have a copy of Windows XP? You could easily find/buy a computer running XP on craigslist saving you the cost of a brand new computer and the hassle of dealing with Win10 and the additional expense of buying Longbow.

Will you be doing any 3D drawings?

I think the last version of AutoCAD that could be installed without getting an activation code via download from AutoDesk was 2004 (although it may have been 2005). All one needed to have was the serial number and authorization code that came on a little yellow sticker affixed to the CD case. Is this what you have

Cad64: The software was purchased through the now closed company's name. I've sent a TechSupport message to AutoCAD re: this issue, but thought I'd go ahead and see what information all you technologically advanced folks had to contribute to my dilemma! Thanks for your input!

ReMark: As stated in my original post, I'm planning on buying a "new-to-me" PC that has either Windows XP or 2000 already installed, for use with my 2005 Autodesk. I am not knowledgeable regarding 3D drawings, and therefore haven't used that feature in the past.

I have the original AutoCAD 2005 Registration Information sheet that was printed out with the original install which was completed in June of 2004 on computers that no longer exist. This document lists the Serial Number, Request code, and Activation Code, our original contact information, and all the Autodesk contact information. I don't see anything on this document called an "Authorization Code". However, on the back cover of the CD case is a label, with a peelable yellow sticker which lists the serial number and a CDkey which says "N/A", again, no "Authorization Code" listed. The main white label has a "Delivery:" number and a "PartNo:".

Then it sounds like when you do install the software you'll be given the opportunity to obtain an activation code which is sent directly from AutoDesk. Any activation code used previously will not work this time around.

ReMark: Thanks for your input! I sure hope that's all it will take! I'm skiddish about going forward with purchasing a new-to-me PC with XP or 2000 installed, without knowing for sure that I'll be able to use this old version of AutoCAD!

You do the registration on line and get back a serial code, I am pretty sure a 2005 version will get a question from Autodesk.

As has already been suggested have a look at the alternatives for around $500 US you have an up to date version of software running on current hardware like 64bit. Drafsight, Bricscad, Intellicad, karelcad to mention a few.

The other thing to consider is that Autocad can now be obtained on a month by month renatl and your guaranteed the latest version.

I would skip trying to use 2005. It is no longer supported by AutoDesk. Any OS that will run it is not longer supported, so it would be inadvisable to connect it to the internet. I would go with one of the free or lower cost alternatives.

RobDraw, thanks for your input! Do the examples of drafting software that have been supplied to me, i.e. Drafsight, Bricscad, Intellicad, and karelcad, work the same as AutoCAD? I was trained on AutoCAD basics 10 years ago and haven't learned any other drafting programs/methods since then. Would I be able to easily transition from working with AutoCAD to one of these other programs? If yes, which one would be most like AutoCAD for me to draw with?

The programs I mentioned, Draftsight and Bricscad, are identical to Autocad. In fact, they are typically referred to as Autocad clones. Draftsight has a free version, but it's more like Autocad LT. It has no 3D and you can't run lisp routines. They do have a Pro version, but I have not tried it out.

If I had to stop using Autocad, I would go with Bricscad. They have a trial version. You should download it and give it a try.

I'm not sure I would use the term "identical" as some command names may vary from what you are used to with AutoCAD. Draftsight users may also download, for free, the 199 page "Getting Started Guide" in PDF format from the Dassault Systemes website. Draftsight is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions so you could buy a brand new (i.e. - fully up-to-date) computer and have no problem running the program. Yes, there is that downside re: no lisp. I think you already mentioned that your line of work did not require 3D.

If I were to go with one of the low-cost AutoCAD clones it would be Bricscad as it has a very good reputation. There are three versions (Classic, Pro & Platinum) ranging in price from $550 to $1020 U.S. All three support the use of lisp. The classic version is primarily 2D. The Pro version gets you 3D. Click on the link below to see a comparison of Bricscad and AutoCAD.

https://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/bricscad/editions/

Edited by ReMark

Would I be able to easily transition from working with AutoCAD to one of these other programs? If yes, which one would be most like AutoCAD for me to draw with?

I guess that would depend on how you use CAD. The best way to find out is to get a free trial and try them out. At 30 days each, that's a lot of free CAD.

Personally, for 2D I would go with the free version of Draftsight.

if you are looking to work professionally with the programs make sure you read the fine print. There are some "free" programs which charge for commercial use of their program.

ReMark: Thanks again. I must say I'm not thrilled about a 199 pg. guide document that only "gets me started"! I just don't have the time to learn a completely new software system, thus I'm looking for something that pretty much mimics AutoCAD 2005! I could, however, deal with it if it's only a matter of some command name differences.

Another important factor for me is whether or not the company has excellent English speaking customer service, and how long they support their product. Do you know that information about Draftsight and Bricscad?

Thanks much for all your help. I will definitely check into both products -- thanks for the easy link info!