Autocad for civil engineering

fozeya

Hi, I just finshed my autocad 2013 training. I have a civil engineering background and would like to get ajob by autocad in civil engineering field. Is anyone could adivice to me what additional courses i have to trainned so that it helps to do civil engineering staff like briges, road, section, profiles...... by autocad. Thank you.

Yes, I would like too because the one I took it doesn't aeema suficencent to do civil staffs. Could you recommened me the best one that cover civil engineering staffs. I lived in Tn, usa. Thank you again

Did you immigrate to the U.S.?

Based upon my limited knowledge I would be inclined to say Civil 3D would be the best program to pursue. Although I worked in the civil engineering field for a number of years the only CAD program available (cost wise) was AutoCAD. Civil 3D didn't even exist at the time.

I've suggested Civil 3D because it seems like a natural progression from AutoCAD. However, there are other programs available such as Microstation but I don't know if you would feel comfortable learning an entirely different (non-AutoDesk) program.

Edited by ReMark

You might want to consider taking an English composition course at your local community college while you're at it to brush up on your spelling and writing skills. Just a suggestion. Some companies can be very picky when it comes to hiring. What is your native language?

Where in Tennessee are you located? I have family in Nashville.

I currently work in the Civil Engineering field. You really need to get involved in Civil 3D. If you would like any more information let me know.

Miller

I have a civil engineering background

I am going to be a bit abrupt its not much good knowing how to draw pretty pictures if you don't actually understand say how to design a road from 1st principles, could you elaborate more about your experience, this is more of interest to me, sorry in AUS, my company can help our staff develop the civ3D skills, take me I started civil design in 1977. My company just had some training on our 3rd party software a few days ago and the trainer made the comment that his company have sessions with uni civil students and critique their hand drawn plans and then expose them to say Civ3D and get them to do it again. They look for the stuff that is real wrong not that they have produced plan, cross & long sections.

Civil Engineering encompasses a broad range of activities "being the art of directing the great sources of power in Nature for the use and convenience of Man."

Perhaps you could indicate which branch of civil engineering is of interest to you.

I am going to be a bit abrupt its not much good knowing how to draw pretty pictures if you don't actually understand say how to design a road from 1st principles, could you elaborate more about your experience, this is more of interest to me, sorry in AUS, my company can help our staff develop the civ3D skills, take me I started civil design in 1977. My company just had some training on our 3rd party software a few days ago and the trainer made the comment that his company have sessions with uni civil students and critique their hand drawn plans and then expose them to say Civ3D and get them to do it again. They look for the stuff that is real wrong not that they have produced plan, cross & long sections.

Have to disagree here. I've no certificate, diploma or degree in any engineering at all, just a certificate for a CAD course I did and I've been working in the civil engineering sector with both consultancy and contractors for nearly 10 years now. I am now in a CAD management position and have my hand in with various aspects of this particular project far past the job description of a CAD technician.

Just work hard, keep the head down and be willing to learn new things.

"being the art of directing the great sources of power in Nature for the use and convenience of Man."

Thanks for that awesome quote eldon!