Dimensioning Custom Modelspace Objects in Paperspace

ksperopoulos

I have a little bit of an issue with dimensioning. We have objects in modelspace and we want to place dimensions for these objects in paperspace. The problem is that these modelspace objects were created using an add-on software package. So AutoCAD does not scale the text within the dimension like it does with native AutoCAD objects. Is there a way for me to make these dimensions read correctly in paperspace?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ksperopoulos

• ReMark

• SLW210

• TheCADnoob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The dimension style is annotative so that we don't have to carry multiple styles for multiple scaled viewports. For instance, when we dimension a 20'-0" long native AutoCAD object while in paperspace that has a viewport scale of 1/4"=1'-0", the dimension reads 20'-0". This obviously is the result it should be. But when we dimension a 20'-0" long object created from this add-on software under the same circumstances, the dimension reads 0'-5".

Sounds like your text and dimensions are in model space not paper space. There would be no need to use annotative text or dimensions if they were being placed in a paper space layout.

We have just recently started converting our annotation to paperspace. So all of our styles are still annotative. We will still need the ability to use annotation in modelspace on occasion, so I don't want to eliminate them just yet.

I'm thinking I might need to access the scale of the viewport somehow and apply that scale to the dimension text. Or maybe I have to select the points in modelspace and then jump back into paperspace to place the dimension. Any idea if one or both of these options are possible? If so, is one option better than the other?

You're just making more work for yourself. We place all text and dimensions in our layouts and need only worry about one system variable and that is whether or not dimensions are associative which is not the same as annotative. If I set a dimstyle height of .125 for all text it does not matter what the scales of my viewports are. I could easily have a dozen viewports each set up to use a different scale yet dimension all of them with one dimension style.

I think you may have misunderstood what my issue is. The text height is not a problem. The string of text within the dimension is what I am addressing.

Both of the objects in the image above are in modelspace. Both of the dimensions in the image above are in paperspace. Both dimensions are using the exact same dimension style. The system variable DIMASSOC is set to "2". The only difference is the object being dimensioned.

Basically you just click on a button for the type of object you want to place, then you select an insertion point.

If you want to know more about the object itself, here is a dump from it:

(-1 . <Entity name: 7ff6daa0f760>)
   (0 . "MAPS_SOLID")
   (330 . <Entity name: 7ff6daa2b9f0>)
   (5 . "A74E")
   (100 . "AcDbEntity")
   (67 . 0)
   (410 . "Model")
   (8 . "M-CWTR-RETN")
   (8 . "M-CWTR-RETN")
   (300 . "2-1/2")
   (300 . "Pipe - A53 ERW Grade B Carbon Steel Sch 40 Black - Plain End")
   (300 . "240\"")
   (300 . "240.00 (inch)")
   (300 . "P01")
   (300 . "153.20")
   (300 . "ORDER-1")
   (300 . "ITEMNO-1")
   (300 . "SPOOL-1")
   (300 . "Insulation x 1.5000")
   (300 . "NOTE-1")
   (300 . "PALLET-1")
   (300 . "None")
   (300 . "2.875")