What Auto Cad Do I Get???

Isaac99

hey guys and gals!

Im new to this whole gig and defiantly want to start!

I am slowly starting my own Business as a metal fabricator and im only 16. i have already built 2 2.4m electric driveway gates.

i want to carry on making gates and plenty more things such and cray pot tippers, boat shade covers, trailers, fuel tanks, Ute tool boxes and heaps more.

what sort of software is recommended and what year, like they have so many different ones and i need help haha

but if anyone could help me out with couple models and even prices that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals!

Isaac

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• f700es

• RobDraw

• stevsmith

• Isaac99

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your biggest issue with software is going to come down to budget.

I'd recommend starting off with 2D draughting software such as Draftsight. this is basically a clone of AutoCAD LT but..... It's free!

If your looking to do some 3D modelling then I'd look into Autodesk Fusion 360. Ideal for start-ups. and relatively simple to use.

For learning the software, this is the best place to come. On-line tutorials are also available on You-Tube.

Draftsight is free.

Fusion is also free to start-ups, but if you wanted you could pay the £300 yearly subscription.

On-Shape has a free version and has a few restrictions e.g. how many files you can open at one time. Subscription is around £100 p/m (£1200 Annual)

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/

http://www.autodesk.co.uk/products/fusion-360/overview

https://www.onshape.com/cad-pricing

Personally, I believe it's best to go with Draftsight and Fusion 360.

Edited by stevsmith

FreeCAD sound a bit cheap but has great 3d features. Look at that one too. If I was to start I would also consider the' Trimble path' with Sketchup as entry. For infra works DWG AutoCAD and Civil3d is a to stay for me..

I would recommend that you look at using Inventor. As a student you can download it for free from the AutoDesk website. However, if and when the time comes and you turn this into a business then you'll either have to buy the program outright or rent it on a monthly or yearly basis. Details can be found at the AutoDesk website.

I would recommend that you look at using Inventor. As a student you can download it for free from the AutoDesk website. However, if and when the time comes and you turn this into a business then you'll either have to buy the program outright or rent it on a monthly or yearly basis. Details can be found at the AutoDesk website.

While correct any student can download and use Inventor he wants it for a business which is against EULA. I agree with stevsmith and would point him to Fusion 360 for startups, which he clearly is. Nothing wrong in learning Inventor but he can't use that version for his business. Sorry to nitpick on ya Remark ;)

The second sentence was supposed to be the qualifier. He could learn it as a student but once he turned pro I agree he would have to pay for it in some fashion.

• 1 month later...
hey guys and gals!

Im new to this whole gig and defiantly want to start!

Issac

Suggest you look at some free/cheap CAD packages first. nanoCAD is Free http://www.nanocad.com , WiseCAD very cheap and WiseCAD Mechanical may be more your thing as you seem to be taling mechanical design. Check out http://www.csoft.com and you can then select the local distributor, as I can't tell where you are.

What AutoCAD do I Get?

Defiantly?

OK!

It is AutoCAD, not Auto Cad.

AutoCAD is last century.

Autodesk Inventor is current.

Autodesk Fusion 360 is supposed to be the future.

In any case - you will want to start now at developing a professional persona and reputation. This includes grammar, punctuation, spelling and identify products by their proper name.

In any case - you will want to start now at developing a professional persona and reputation. This includes grammar, punctuation, spelling and identify products by their proper name.

... spelling, and identifying products...

spelling and grammar are the devil... and are the reason i dont make more money than i do :)

I am a horrible speller. I make quite well.

... spelling, and identifying products...

Hi Rob, I had noticed that too. The present participle definitely works better, should we wish to wax grammatical.

Come to think of it, perhaps I should say wax grammatically? :beer:

Not sure about that one. :)

I'm no grammarian but if I were to criticize someone for their grammar in a public forum, I would make dam sure I did it properly. Otherwise, IMHO, the criticism totally loses it's validity. Just saying.