Bezier curves vs. segmented curves

spiderartist

This is the nightmare of trying to determine a "one method fits all" procedure. The Files attached to this thread show very little consistency with the CAD/Vector software translations*. We haven't even delved much into the various CAM Import quirks.

Optimum throughput may require the CNC vendor to set up several "Best Practices" to pass along accordingly, based on a particular customers primary CAD package.

*The SSSS InkS Rob-master Spline.dxf in this latest crop shows serious geometry distortion.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SEANT

• SLW210

• lrm

• spiderartist

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will check back in with more info once we have the water jet installed here.

I never recall seeing problems with feeding the ESAB plasma cutter at one place I worked a few years ago, dxf files straight from AutoCAD.

If you go to the Adobe Illustrator forums, most seem to prefer .eps files. Many on there are doing vinyl cutouts, stitching and sign making.

The OP left the building without providing the equipment and software they use.

. . . .

I never recall seeing problems with feeding the ESAB plasma cutter at one place I worked a few years ago, dxf files straight from AutoCAD.

If you go to the Adobe Illustrator forums, most seem to prefer .eps files. Many on there are doing vinyl cutouts, stitching and sign making.

. . . .

That’s a good point. The specific industry determines the likelihood of encountering Spline type curves. Construction and heavy manufacturing, industries that make good use of plasma cutters, probably don’t require non-arc curves all that often. If I had to guess; probably run into splines at

The more visual/artistic industries may kick that up, say to 50% of the time some incoming file contains spline based geometry. A pipeline that accommodates that, perhaps via .EPS, would save a lot of headaches.

Edited by SEANT

• 2 months later...

Water Jet is set up and will be running tests tomorrow and probably the rest of the week.

This software seems to handle all sorts of splines, everything is lines or arcs if drawn in the program, circles are divided into at least two arcs.

The ones ending in imported_dxf.dxf are from the Water Jet program.

SplineConversion_imported_dxf.dxf

SplineConversion.dxf

Ss_Mods_imported_dxf.dxf

Ss_Mods.dxf

Based on what I see in the ‘SplineConversion’ file, the Water Jet program should handle AutoCAD spline geometry without any further refinement. The geometry has been converted a series of beautifully tangent arcs. The cutting head should be able to zip through that shape without any stops/restarts.

I suppose that not surprising with the latest equipment/software.

When dealing with other vendors, though, I’d guess the older the equipment/software, the more likely problems will arise, and the more important it will be for the customer to pre-process spline based geometry.

True, I can download any of their older software, too. When time allows, I will see how the older programs do the splines.

This software automatically converts PDFs (at least Vector) to lines and Arcs, also. It traces Images, as well, I need to go back and double check on the accuracy.

Extremely busy right now, between my regular work load and training on the Water Jet.

Maybe time to play next week after the holiday. Bosses are already wanting to start production runs.

Any more tests anyone can come up with, post them up.