Can't display dimensions

I am doing a 2d floor plan in model space.

I am totally new to Autocad and are using 2016 version.

I have learned everything by watching Youtube videos.

I have completed my drawing and am attempting to put in dimensions. When I try using the Dimcommand, I click on one corner of line, go to opposite corner of line and extend and only 2 line extensions from the corners appear with a line spanning between these 2 line extensions. There are no arrows or dimensions displayed. Can some one please tell me where I have made an error. Is it in the way that I set up the model or in scaling. Tried everything I can think of and am lost. Please help>

I have noticed my problem is that the arrows and dimesions are very small and I have to zoom in on then quite a lot. How do I correct this issue?

Also my dimensions show in inches rather than feet and inches. Units are set in inches. I did set limits when I set the initial start of the model. I don't know if that plays a factor in this.

My annotation is set to 3/16"- 1"0.

Hi Reebs,

You can change the size of the arrows and text through the dim style command - type "dims" in the command bar and then select modify.

Instead of changing each individual size of the arrow heads, text size and offsets etc, you could also just change the scale of the dimension which is also found in the dim style option.

I'm pretty new here also, so not sure if its the most efficient way but it works for me. Hope it helps :)

Thx Stevery

Ok I did manage to get the arrows and text dimensions to appear but still am getting total inches as opposed to feet and inches. Any thoughts.

I don't have access to my Autocad right now but I believe you can change this in the properties menu. Click on the dimensions and type properties in the command bar then scroll through to see if there something there that might change it for you.

Thx Solved problem inproperties

You will want to make those changes in the dimstyle manager and not in properties. Also, you will want to create your own dimstyle name to gain better control over your drawings versus relying on the Standard style that comes with AutoCAD.

If you are using the ribbon, go to Annotate tab, look at the Dimensions panel, then in the lower right corner of that panel there will be a little arrow pointing down and to the right, click on that.

Create a new style, then modify it for what you need. Since you are just beginning it is hard to give a full set of instructions on how to set this up.

I think there are four different ways to go with dimensions.

1) Dim in paper space (generally speaking you would only need one style)

2) Dim in model space but without using annotative objects (you would need multiple styles, one for each plot scale)

3) Dim in model space with annotative objects. (you would need one style)

4) Dim in model space but through a viewport in paper space. (generally speaking you would only need one style)

You will need to pick one at some point but without knowing how they all work it may be hard for you to settle on one.

We could type volumes about how to do each one but it would be easier for you to buy a book.