AC 2016 Crashes on Opening, Saving, and Closing Tabs

resullins

One of my co-workers is getting an "Unhandled Access Violation" crash when he opens or closes tabs, or saves files and switches tabs. He's got a much beefier computer than I do, so I feel like it has to be something other than a lack of hardware. I've googled the error code, and I'm not getting anything. I've attached a picture of the error message. Capture.JPG

2016?

Service pack(s) installed?

What is the co-worker attempting to do when the error occurs? Is it repeatable or random?

What troubleshooting steps have been taken so far to diagnose the problem?

What OS is being used?

@Remark: 2016 (which by the way may be one of the buggiest releases I've ever used... ugh), Service Pack 1. It's pretty random, I had to wait a whole day for him to be able to reproduce it. Troubleshooting: I told him to try the fix I found pertaining to anti-virus problems... uninstall, disable anti-virus, reinstall. Hopefully, he'll have time to do that today. Other than that, not much, as I don't want to tell him to start troubleshooting until I can narrow it down a TINY bit. He's very computer savvy, though... and I know he's checked OS issues and stuff. Oh, and he's on Windows 10. For reference, I'm on 2016 with Windows 10 and can't recreate the issue.

@SLW: That doesn't have a download for Windows 10, I know sometimes you can just use the Windows 8 stuff (I had to do that yesterday for my new [new to me, actually pulled out of another machine] video card)... I think he sent an error report.

Before going the uninstall/reinstall route I would first try a REPAIR of the system which is relatively quick and easy.

If you do go full throttle on this be advised there is a recommended procedure for preparing one's system for a clean install that can be found at the AutoDesk website.

Is hardware acceleration enabled?

Ok, we'll try that. I've never had much luck with repair... but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try that. I believe HA is off, as that's one of the Usual Suspects, but I've actually had 2016 turn it back on by itself on my machine... so it's certainly worth a check.

(which by the way may be one of the buggiest releases I've ever used... ugh)

That is the opposite of what most people are experiencing. Are you on an older network (non-gigabit)?

I installed 2016 as soon as I got it. Took one look at it and didn't see anything I couldn't live without. Haven't used it since.

Nope. And none of it is network related bugs.

For example, when you run the FIND command, and list all the results, in every other release you could click on a column and sort the results. That no longer works in 2016. Oh, and it takes like 30 seconds for the window to disappear I have problems with my Tool Palettes... just stuff like that. It's clunky.

I'm a beta tester, so I like to make sure to use the current release so I can find all the crap like I mentioned above, and check for it in the betas.

What about the new badges and lasso selection? I can't wait until I have a use for them.

I've never played with the badges. And the lasso selection seemed REALLY cool when I first played with it, but after 10 years of doing my clicking one way, my fingers just don't work like that... so I've never ACTUALLY used it.