AutoCAD MEP - difference in Label Curve and Tag and how to combine the two?

tzframpton

I've narrowed down Label Curves in the Style Manager and I'm very familiar with Label Curves but I'm having a hard time trying to actually "create" one (from scratch, not right-click > New in the Style Manager). I can create what I need via DEFINETAG after setting up Property Sets, etc, but it doesn't work the same. The only thing I can figure out is the Label Curve is a Style that simply controls the way it looks, but "how" and "where" is it pulling the information from, such as Duct Size? Creating a Tag makes sense because you are pulling from the PSD already set up in the Style Manager. The Help File is pretty vague unless I'm missing something.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

-TZ

Creating a new label curve is so much easier then creating a tag once you understand how it works.

Go into the Style Manager and expand Documentation Objects and then expand Label Curve Styles. Right Click on the Label Curve Style heading and choose New. On the General Tab that pops up on the right of the style manager you can name your new style appropriately and give it a good description. Now switch over to the Label Style Annotation tab. In the options section choose Use Property Set. (In 2016 it is the second from the bottom.) Then at the bottom of the options section choose your desired property set and then choose your desired definition. That is it. Your done!

You can modify other properties of the style but the instructions above are enough to get your label curve style to display any property definition.

Label%20Curve%20Style.png?dl=0

Wow, that WAS easy. Didn't even think to pay attention to the options on the Annotation Tab. Now that I took my business full time, I'm seeing a need to pick up AutoCAD MEP again for shop drawings since I'm not in a Revit-only environment anymore. Many things are coming back to me and I'm surprised that I still remembered a lot of things as if I never quit the program. Just about the time I was digging into these types of things in AutoCAD MEP 2008, I made the leap to Revit pretty much full time. Can't believe it's been 8 years since I've really used AMEP... crazy.

Thanks again Keith. I may have more questions coming. :)

-TZ

*EDIT*

PS: The main reason I am using AMEP right now is I'm testing out more "fab friendly" items that AMEP offers OOTB. The cut length/Flanged duct is just awesome. Man I wish Revit had this, without purchasing the crazy expensive SysQue. Since this job doesn't require BIM, I'm just doing typical, run-of-the-mill shops for a company so plan view is all that's needed from 2D arch backgrounds. These shops are gonna look great because of the cut length option. That's why I'm asking about Label Curves because I created a PSD that pulls the cut length for any joint that isn't 60" (59" real world). I really need joints/flanges in Revit. A shame it's not there OOTB.

Let me know what you need Fabrication wise. I used to work for EastCoast CAD/CAM and have alot of Fabrication fittings for MEP.

I no longer work there as I work for another software reseller programming 100% of the time now. The AutoCAD MEP knowledge is still there however as I am developing plugins for it. Check out http://www.cadengineeredsolutions.com/access-space-generator/

Keith, next question (if you don't mind). Can I use a prefix or suffix with Label Curves? I'm seeing this option grayed out, but it seems it's for Dimension String Options. I have a cut length set, but I'd like for it to be prefixed with "L=". Thanks again.

Keith, next question (if you don't mind). Can I use a prefix or suffix with Label Curves? I'm seeing this option grayed out, but it seems it's for Dimension String Options. I have a cut length set, but I'd like for it to be prefixed with "L=". Thanks again.

Of course. However you will need to add it to the property set as you are reading a property set definition value and cannot add any text to it via the label curve. So you will probably need to create a formula based property set definition that displays the cut length along with any prefix you need.