Help needed with 3D modelling !!

Mahesh1992

Hey guys!!

I need help with the 3D modelling of rail sleeper B70. I have drawn the plan and elevation of the sleeper and would like to get the 3D view using the LOFT command. But I have a couple of issues:

1. I am unable to join the different lines using pedit command. These do not join.

2. I have tried to create a single polyline cross-section. Now when i try to extrude, it says "cannot sweep or extrude self-intersecting curve

3. When I try to loft the error message says "face has more than 1 loop".

Please help me sort out this issue.

I have attached the file. The drawing on top is the elevation and below that is the plan.

b70 sleeper.dwg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Mahesh1992

• Cad64

• MillerMG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have taken a look at your drawing and I see that you have created the entire plan view and elevation view as one continuous polyline. That is not going to work if you want to use the Extrude command to create a 3D object. This is why you are getting errors when trying to run commands.

@CAD64 Can you suggest some way in which I can combine the plan and elevation of this object to get the 3D view ? I am not quite used to 3D modelling which is why I am taking this approach.

Thanks in advance

Consider this a rough draft as there are a couple of kinks yet to be worked out. Created using a combination of solids and surfaces (that too needs to be addressed). Sorry but I'm in a bit of a rush today so I really couldn't spend much time on it. Perhaps if I get a breather later on I'll take another shot at it.

Oh...for the solids I mainly extruded different parts of the geometry then used the INTERFERE command to create what I really wanted. For the surfaces (sloped transitions) I used a couple of 3Dpolylines and the LOFT command.

3D_Sleeper1.JPG

3D_Sleeper2.jpg

Edited by ReMark

@ReMark Thank you so much !! Its almost perfect. I have attached the link of the B70 sleeper below to help you further. I will try my level best from my end. No hurries. Take your own time. Thank you once again.

http://www.railone.de/fileadmin/daten/03-produkte-loesungen/fern-und-regionalverkehr/schotteroberbau/weichenschwelle/N114740-9-B70_2009.png

I was unaware of your post above ^ ^ ^ when I returned to post another image. I ironed out a couple of the problems I alluded to early but what bugs me is it is still a mixture of solids (approx. 85%) and surfaces (about 15%). The gray portions are constructed of surfaces.

3D_Sleeper3.jpg

Once again I can only stay long enough to post this image then I got to go. BTW...I saw that very same image elsewhere when I researched what a "sleeper" actually was. Now I know the correct terminology.

Edited by ReMark

@Remark THANK YOU once again !! Can you post the auto cad file so that I can make the necessary corrections ? I would like to give it a try.

I'm not sure I want to share all my mistakes with the world. Post your email address in the form seen below and I'll send you a copy of the very rough drawing (no explanations will accompany the drawing; you'll have to figure it out on your own).

m y e m a i l a d d y AT g m a i l DOT c o m

After you receive the drawing you can come back and edit out your email address.

An email has been sent. Remember to remove your email address from your last post (or delete the post altogether) once you receive the drawing. Good luck.

Had a few minutes so I went and took another look at my B70 sleeper drawing to figure out how to get solids in place of the surfaces I had for the sloped sides. Just as I figured I had to create an additional four sets of surfaces to account for the back, bottom and rear (two pieces). Once I had all five surfaces assembled I simply ran the SURFSCULPT command to create the solid I needed. All that was left to do was create a small section of solid on the far (right hand) end of the sleeper then union all five solids together. Here is the result...

3D_Sleeper4.jpg

Now there is probably a quicker/easier way to do it but I wasn't going for speed in this instance. I'll leave that to the pros.:lol:

I think the count is up to eight now but a couple of the long time members may say it is lower by half.:lol:

Edited by ReMark
Found email.

@ReMark I sent you a detailed mail thanking you, after which you mailed me the dwg file. Come on man !! I am thankful to people who help me out in dire circumstances. I suggest you check your inbox before making false accusations.:o