Perspective, Camera etc basics

fostertom

Damn, I had that from a charity shop but gave it back, seemed so useless - but prob wd have been ideal for this!

Well I'm not 100% sure because my copy (2009 version) is in work so I won't be able to check it until Monday.

Edited by ReMark
Corrected version from 2010 to 2009

Trying to match camera position with the view of an actual photo I took, so I can maybe superimpose my model on the photo. Camera xyz is no problem, but lens focal length? (it was a zoom camera).

In the photo jpg's Properties, I see in its EXIF data that focal length was 9mm - which in my book is extreme fish-eye - and that's how the model looks when 9mm is dialled into Brics (Acad clone) Camera.

So I'm wondering - is Brics Camera expecting a focal length figure as if the camera was a traditional 35mm? If so, I'd say the pic was taken at zoom of somewhere between 35-50mm FL, by 35mm standards, not 9mm.

Anyone know how to convert this particular camera's FL data to 35mm equivalent?

Ok, I got zoom/FL answer, thanks to http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3980603#forum-post-57461993 .

http://www.digicamdb.com/specs/panasonic_lumix-dmc-f3 says the Pana has a massive 7.6mm sensor diagonal. http://photoseek.com/2013/compare-digital-camera-sensor-sizes-full-frame-35mm-aps-c-micro-four-thirds-1-inch-type throws more light. The diagonal of 24x36 is 43.3mm.

So crop ratio is 43.3/7.6 = 5.69.

5.69 x 9mm FL gives 51.2 equiv FL for my pic - about right I'd say.

And that folks concludes today's photography lesson re: focal length equivalents. Please join us again next week when we'll discuss "f-stops"...fact vs. fiction. Thanks for joining us. :)

You're in luck. I happen to have the 2009 version of the book I mentioned previously.

Chapter 17 - Rendering & Materials

Major topics covered include...

-Creating Cameras to Reproduce Views

-Creating a Lighting Scheme

-Adding Materials

Sounds ideal - I'll get it, or a later version - am finding out which Acad version BricsCAD is like, in that department.