N00b in desperate need of assistance

NoLeader

Hi all, John here.A little backstory is in order I suppose as to why i'm here.

I'm a recent graduate with an associates in applied sciences. Was recently hired to run the network of a small business. Second day on the job, I'm told to become proficient in AutoCAD, as that is a growing segment of our work.

So, I'm given a basic 2d schematic of a Softball and ROTC practice area, and tasked with creating said layout in AutoCAD. Needless to say, i'm at a complete loss for what to do. Are there schematics or templates I could use to begin the process or transcribing this? Would it be simpler to draw it all out from scratch? And if so, what would be the best way to go by doing that for, again, a 2d layout.

Regards,

No Leader

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• NoLeader

• BIGAL

• glenbob305

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the CADTutor forum.

First. Do you have all the necessary dimensions of the fields?

Second. Have you viewed any AutoCAD tutorials either here at CADTutor or elsewhere (ex. - mycadsite.com).

Thanks for the prompt reply @ReMark!

The layout isn't to scale, so there are no specific dimensions as far as I can tell (Given i'm not quite sure what to look for). I've attached a quick photo of what it is i'm working with for reference.

gZebFob

As for the second, I've been studying up at CADtutor, but have yet to find a way to apply what i've learned in a functional manner.

I don't see an attachment of a photo. Sorry.

I would highly recommend that anything you draw be done to real world dimensions whether it is a postage stamp, a cell phone or a baseball filed.

Fast pitch softball field dimensions.

AAAAOwOiB8AAIDdAfEDAACwOyB+AAAAdgfEDwAAwO6A+AEAANgdED8AAAC743+8T3iElmGWDAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

SoftballField.PNG

Sorry, upload didn't go through apparently. I've uploaded the image to imgur here http://imgur.com/gZebFob

The image you attached is awesome, but pretty far beyond the scope of what they want me to accomplish here. Let me know your thoughts once you've taken a look at the image.

Yeah, somethings buggy. Bump to let you know to check the above post with link to image.

Alright. You don't need AutoCAD to draw something like that as it is just a sketch with no dimensions. Might as well use a pen and a cocktail napkin. Seriously though, I wouldn't waste my time learning AutoCAD if that is what is going to be required. Graph paper, a couple of draftsman's triangle's (if you want to be precise when it comes to straight lines), a .5mm Pentel mechanical pencil with lead and an eraser is all you need.

To draw that in AutoCAD one could use the Rectangle (for buildings), Arc (for door swings), Line and Text commands. The Offset command might come in handy. I'd also recommend enabling Orthomode (keep lines straight) and OSnaps (for accuracy of picks at endpoints, midpoints, intersections, etc.). For some of the callouts where you have leader lines I'd recommend the MultiLeader command. You would have to modify the various options to suit your needs. Things like arrowhead or no arrowhead and text height for instance.

What are the black dots with the A-0xx callouts supposed to be? You might want to use the Donut command there with an I.D. of "0".

What size paper did they want this printed on? 8.5x11?

Edited by ReMark

Guess I scared you off. Here is a very quick, down and dirty example.

[ATTACH]57371[/ATTACH]

Hahah,nope, still here. Apologies for the delay.

Alright. You don't need AutoCAD to draw something like that as it is just a sketch with no dimensions. Might as well use a pen and a cocktail napkin. Seriously though, I wouldn't waste my time learning AutoCAD if that is what is going to be required. Graph paper, a couple of draftsman's triangle's (if you want to be precise when it comes to straight lines), a .5mm Pentel mechanical pencil with lead and an eraser is all you need.

That is exactly what I figured, but this particular client wants it in AutoCAD -_-. Whatever it takes to pay the bills. Thanks for your tips, though. Offset and Ortho have helped a great deal. As for everything else, standard printer grade, .

Okl, so meager beginnings on this end. I'm getting the basic gist of it given the parameters you set before, but cant for the life of me can\t seem to use arc to draw a door, or find how to insert dots/bulletpoints.

Untitled.jpg

Well first you need a line representing the door. Then start the ARC command and use the Center option. The center of the arc will be where the line for the door intersects with the building. The end of the arc will be the other end of the line. Then just indicate what side of the line the arc should fall on.

For the "dot" (not "bulletpoint") either use the Donut command, as previously suggested and a multileader with no arrowhead OR use a multileader with a dot instead of an arrowhead. You adjust for this via the Manage MultiLeader Style dialog box.

A couple of extra little hints if you have ortho on pick your start point and drag mouse in the direction then enter the distance. Whilst coming to grips with ARC for door try this draw a circle with centre point at hinge with correct radius draw a 90 line from hinge in swing direction use TRIM to make into an arc using the new and existing edge trim also the 90 deg line.

You have not mentioned printing so a quick simple guide go to a layout and draw a rectangle slightly smaller than you paper size metric 6mm, 1/4" maybe, then MV for modelview and create a box inside this rectangle, dbl click to jump in and do zoom E your dwg should appear adjust a bit or you can use a true scale will get back to that. dbl click outside or PS, now plot pick your printer and paper size, use window pick lower left upper right, Fit, say landscape top right use little down arrow and use ACAD.ctb (note if this does not make sense there is a > on bottom left click it) check preview if looks ok the print. Else do a screen grab and post.

The drawing is not being done to real world dimensions so printing "to scale" is not required which means the OP can print directly from model space using the "Fit" and "Center" options in the plot dialog box.

Did you finally get it? If you need a hand I'd be happy to take a minute and sketch it for you. Can you attach dwgs to this forum?

I'm sure the OP is working his way through it which is the best way to learn (mistakes and all).

Yes, drawings can be attached to posts but you'll have to be aware of file size limits.

The OP attached a link to the sketch he is trying to produce. If you read his posts you would have seen that the sketch does not have to be to scale so you could easily reproduce it without the need to have a copy of the OP's drawing. So.....start drawing and attach of copy of your drawing when you are finished. Your time starts...NOW.

I took your image file and traced over it with ACAD using 6" exterior wall and 4" interior wall. I am guessing this is for security alarm application ?

redir?resid=9F0648D8973529A0!878&authkey=!ACm7HkwrRp24aDk&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

And how exactly did you arrive at that conclusion? Please explain.